Aftermarket stereo/standard wires

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Aftermarket stereo/standard wires

Post by D366Y »

Hey all,

So I have an after market radio hidden in my glove box to keep the original radio in place and looking the part, but for the last period of time it has had a direct wire straight to the battery with no fuse in line. So today I thought I would be slightly more sensible and do the job properly using the original wires for the old radio. The speaker wires have already been scotch-clipped together to suit the new radio input, but I only have one battery input rather than two on the original for permanent live and ignition live... When plugged straight to the permanent live, it doesn't turn on, when connected to the ignition live it does come on, but when the keys are then taken out obviously it loses all the stations that are preset.

My question is, can I safely connect the permanent live and ignition live from the original wiring and connect this with the new radio, or is this not safe?

Ta!

Also, simply from unplugging everything my aerial has decided to stop working, guessing this would be a case of just checking the relay...?

Cheers!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Aftermarket stereo/standard wires

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
Have you tested the permanent live with a multimeter or test lamp to see if it is actually live? If not, you might have to trace it back to find out why not. Alternatively, it won't be a difficult job to run a new wire with an inline fuse from a permanent live on the fusebox.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Cheers Andrew, No I haven't tested with a multimeter, but it still powers the original radio which I was using as my measure to see if it still worked or not. When I wired that one up it came on, held stations if programmed and did what it was meant to do

My plan was to use a piggyback clip to connect both positive feeds into my new radio?

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Has it powered the old radio since it failed to power the new one or before. Perhaps the in line fuse has gone in changing wires around. Doesn't make sense otherwise!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Peter-S wrote:Has it powered the old radio since it failed to power the new one or before. Perhaps the in line fuse has gone in changing wires around. Doesn't make sense otherwise!
Yep!! I thought the exact same thing, checked the fuse and it's fine, and still powers the original one!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Solved it! Turns out in my own ineptitude I labelled up the wires wrong so once I found the right ones and wired them in it all worked as it should