Power Steering Rack

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Power Steering Rack

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hi guys,

I need a power steering rack and I was just wondering if there were any other racks that would fit from say, a Mondeo or Sierra? The angle of the shaft that goes into the column looks the right angle on most but then there's the track width but the rods are adjustable so....any ideas?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Power Steering Rack

Post by Paul G »

I'd just get a proper Capri one and save all the fannying about, plus your steering geometry will be as it was meant to be.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

I bought one. A ropey second hand one. Does anyone have a link or anything to any useful info on how to refurbish these power steering racks. I know you can buy seal kits but is the a good procedure to a refurb that I could follow. I found some youtube vids of people who didn't know what they were doing and took forever to mess it up and often on different makes of steering rack. Even an explosion diagram in a good resolution would be nice. I'll look again myself but I figured some resourceful people on here might already have some info.

Thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote: Does anyone have a link or anything to any useful info on how to refurbish these power steering racks.
Hi Dave,
There is loads of useful information, including exploded diagrams, in the Ford workshop manual (that's the orange book, not the Haynes manual).
To me, it looks terribly complicated and probably best left to the professionals. That's people who do it for a living, not Bodie and Doyle! :)

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Hot_Protein wrote:I bought one. A ropey second hand one. Does anyone have a link or anything to any useful info on how to refurbish these power steering racks. I know you can buy seal kits but is the a good procedure to a refurb that I could follow. I found some youtube vids of people who didn't know what they were doing and took forever to mess it up and often on different makes of steering rack. Even an explosion diagram in a good resolution would be nice. I'll look again myself but I figured some resourceful people on here might already have some info.

Thanks
If you PM me your email address I have a copy of the factory manual for rebuilding a rack that I could send you.

I did a rack years ago and all I can say about doing it is keep everything scrupulously clean and lay it all out in the order it comes apart so that you don't lose anything. The manual also shows how to set the rack up after it's done so that it's not pulling to the left or right.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Thanks fellas.