F*cked up the valves?!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

F*cked up the valves?!

Post by tejb1 »

Aaah - seriously kicking myself right now!

So, checked the valve clearances just now. All ok, number 1 is a bit closed up mind. Loosened lock nut, adjusted, seemed ok. At this point I get distracted by a phone call. On returning, I forget about the lock nut and, thinking I've finished the job, spin the engine on the starter. Clunk. Oh sh*t!

The exhaust valve on 1 is fully at the top and the engine won't turn by hand after a certain point. Removing the spark plug I can see the piston moving up and down, but there's a point (roughly 45 degrees after TDC) when it won't move. Now horrible feeling that I've just managed to cause a piston to hit a valve with all the mess that entails.

The irony is this was the last check I was doing after having done the rest of the servicing and everything was running beautifully. Currently kicking myself!

Any Pinto experts in the North London area who would be willing to pop to N19 to give their opinion...?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: F*cked up the valves?!

Post by Paul G »

If the clearance was right and all you had forgotten to do was tighten the locknut then the valve shouldn't have hit a piston just on cranking. Best thing to do to check if you've got a bent valve is to remove the rocker arms on 1 and 2 cylinders and see if the valve protrudes through the guide by the same amount as the known good one. A badly bent valve will sit lower than a good one and the spring will look like it is down and compressed.

When the rockers are out try turning the engine over to see if it turns.

I would take your cambelt cover off and a) check nothing has dropped down into it whilst you were on the phone and b) check the cam timing is still OK.
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I'm now questioning myself whether I had set it properly before being distracted... the cam cover is off, timing marks seem ok (I'll double check after lunch). Spring for 1 is noticably more compressed with the rocker cover off.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Doesn't sound too good. What engine is it. A 2.0 should be OK in terms of the valve being down whilst the piston is up and the two not connecting but a 1.6 is more of an issue.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

It's a 1.6... When turning over by hand, there is a definite point where something is colliding with something else.
I've been put on to an engineering firm who can send someone round to look, so we'll see what they say.

Really annoyed with myself for messing up so badly, but, we live and learn??
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Just wanted to update this thread for completeness sake. I had done as expected, unfortunately, but an engineering firm replaced the valve and all is good now. New head gasket and cambelt for the sake of completeness. Lesson learned!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

An unfortunate and costly error but glad to hear it has been resolved. Was this part of a general maintenance check or had you just completed an engine rebuild at the time ?
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Just an annual service - definitely a mistake I won't be making again!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Did fill for you the day you posted but as we must have all done a big ( llllllll) up in our life’s I had a 1804 chain pocket watch I was fixing and thought I had released the chain when the phone went . Yes it went everywhere and I just sat there thinking I was living a dream and I would wake up .
I still have that pocket watch that is broken and bent in my tool kit I might get round to getting or making the parts .

Glad your all sorted and hope you did not have to reach to far in to your pocket .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Something I was told years ago when starting work was, "Never be afraid to admit you fecked up". There's little point in getting angry, frustrated with yourself, or trying to hide it. Sort it out and move on.

I'll admit I've not had a good couple of months having also had to shell out for two new tyres and a flat battery last week to boot. It's frustrating but at least it is happening in winter and once everything is sorted that'll be it... Hopefully!

As to my wallet well I am a yorkshireman so it pained me to open it, I had better sign up for some overtime at work!!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Glad it's sorted now even if your wallet took a bashing. I think we all know how that feels from time to time.