1986 Laser radio wiring diagram

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mk3CortinaCapri
Car(s): 1971 Mk3 Cortina 2.0 GT
1986 Capri 2.0 Laser
2018 Fiesta Titanium
2019 Focus St Line X

1986 Laser radio wiring diagram

Post by Mk3CortinaCapri »

Hi,
I've just tried to fit a replacement electric aerial into my 1986 Laser. Unfortunately, for me, someone has been in there before and has removed some of the original wiring. I don't have a multi plug for the ciggy lighter, that's completely missing and on the radio I have the big earth, a yellow wire and a small terminal white wire that has been joined to a red wire going to the permanent live on the ignition switch.

I'm not sure where the original electric aerial relay is located but I know there would have been a white wire from the middle small bladed terminal on the back on the radio that went to it. What I don't know is where the relay is located or the wiring to it ? I also not sure how it worked as the new aerial seems to only go up and down when the radio is switch on or off. If I shut the engine off without turning the radio off the aerial stays up.

Also, what should the ciggy lighter plug wiring go to ? I assume there should be a red wire to the permanent live on the back of the ignition switch as per the radio ?

Don't know if anyone has a wiring diagram for these ?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: 1986 Laser radio wiring diagram

Post by Paul G »

The electric aerial relay is mounted on the bracket that hangs down below the heater controls which has a u clip on the bottom for the lower dash panel to screw into. The red and a white wire for the electric aerial run from this up along the top of the glove box to connect to the aerial.

Mine's all out at the minute, i'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

Re the radio wiring, the yellow is the ignition - on live and the connected in wire must be a permanent live for the radio's memory. There should be a double multi-plug for the lighter.
Mk3CortinaCapri
Car(s): 1971 Mk3 Cortina 2.0 GT
1986 Capri 2.0 Laser
2018 Fiesta Titanium
2019 Focus St Line X

Re: 1986 Laser radio wiring diagram

Post by Mk3CortinaCapri »

Thanks for that, not sure the relay is still there then but I had to refit the dash etc... yesterday so have another look this weekend. Other than the white wire that should go to the middle small bladed terminal on the radio, what are the other wire colours ?
As for the ciggy lighter, yes, the double wired plug appears to be missing all together so not sure where that went. I assume one of the wires was red and may have gone to the permanent live on the back of the ignition switch ? I guessing the other was a brown or black earth ?