Hydraulic Press.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Hydraulic Press.

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'm toying with the idea of buying a hydraulic press for light garage duties including using on bearings and bushes etc.
For the use it would get I don't want to spend a fortune, does anybody have any recommendations?
Would this one be adequate?
https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/871847583177 ... gIK__D_BwE

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Hydraulic Press.

Post by Mc Tool »

Make one . I made mine out of 150 x 100 x 10mm channel and a 20 ton bottle jack. I used 1" tractor link pins to fix the table in place . Table is raised and lowered via wire cables / pulleys and a boat trailer winch . The 20 ton bottle jack is fitted upside down .By fitting small lengths of a ballpoint pen spring under the ( normally gravity operated ) ball valves they work upside down and I had to make a pick up tube to lift oil from the now upside down resiviour ). Im to dumb to post pix but if you pm me your email I be happy to send you some pix .
The local bike shop wanted 400 bucks to press apart and rebuild my RD400 crank .......without parts and I just thought fuckkit and after a bit of costing I built my own 20 ton press for about the same money ( boat winch , cable and pulleys were 2nd hand ) and I still have the press , which is over 2m high and easily big enough to do the longest axles, and I have already straightened 1 set of forks ( not mine ) and one pair of shotgun barrels ( mine )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mc,
Thanks for your reply. It did occur to me that a lot of these presses appear to be a bottle jack fixed to a frame.
Perhaps it's something I'll look into.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

This is probably the sort of thing you need Andrew. Should do most things but some modern front wheel drive wheel bearings may push it to its limits.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... ulic-floo/

It's a tool I would like to have but unfortunately I don't have the space for one at the minute.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Thanks Paul.
I'd love that press, but it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend for the amount of use that it would get.
Cheers for pointing me in the direction of a 10 tonne press though. I'll have a look around to see what else is about.

Andrew.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

You may be able to find a second hand one - that should be cheaper and ok for light use?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote:You may be able to find a second hand one - that should be cheaper and ok for light use?
Thanks for your reply. I've had a quick look but I've not found one for sell locally.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

When I asked about ( previously mentioned bike shop , local engineer and an engine recon place ) I was told that 12 ton is the min , and that a good stiff frame that doesn't "spring " is needed to properly locate bearings , like rebuilding a 2 stroke crankshaft , a good press should be able to put 10 -15 tons on something and be able to move a thou at a time .... a springy press can jump 20 thou which makes it hard to clearance some fittings ( like a big end ) and straightening stuff can be a comedy of over bending back and forth. There is nothing to stop you getting a cheap press and adding to the frame to stiffen it up a bit .
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Have you seen the ones at SGS Engineering Andrew -

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage- ... ulic-press
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:Have you seen the ones at SGS Engineering Andrew -

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the link. Yes, the SGS ones popped up when I searched on Google. It looks like a spend of around £240 will be necessary for a suitable press with a capability of 12 tonnes.

I had a specific job in mind for the press, luckily somebody did the job for me as a favour. That means that I'm now not in much of a hurry to purchase a press, but one is definitely on my wish list!

I thank everyone for their responses, they've been very helpful.

Andrew.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

If it makes you feel any better Andrew I had that Machine Mart one and it never generated more than 5/6 tonnes of pressure.... My experience of all cheap hydraulic equipment (presses, engine cranes etc.) is they work poorly or not at all! That said the bottle jack presses should work OK they’re just a bit crude I suppose.

I managed to find a Harvey Frost screw press on eBay eventually, it’s rated at 11 tonnes I think but it is much more powerful than the 10 tonne hydraulic one I had. It’s a bit bulky but it’s very well made and is quite interesting in itself I suppose - everybody seems to want to buy it!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
pbar wrote:Have you seen the ones at SGS Engineering Andrew -

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the link. Yes, the SGS ones popped up when I searched on Google.
This company are also very respected and make some really good stuff. Might be worth having a look. They make those drive on adjustable ramps which have been talked about on here previously. Here is a link to their presses -

http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/20ton.shtml
pbar

Post by pbar »

I remembered this thread from a while back, as I'm also tentatively thinking of a press as I have a couple of jobs in mind and it would be handy to have. Andrew, did you ever get one? Or has anyone else any recommendations.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:50 pm I remembered this thread from a while back, as I'm also tentatively thinking of a press as I have a couple of jobs in mind and it would be handy to have. Andrew, did you ever get one? Or has anyone else any recommendations.
Hi Paul,
No, I didn't buy one. After weighing up the options, I considered that in the rare occasion that I would need one I would take whatever needed doing to a local workshop.
Hopefully somebody will chime in with some recommendations.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the quick reply Andrew, fair enough, it isn't something which will see daily use I'm sure! Did you favour any particular model though, from your research into them, other than the one you linked to in your first post?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:12 pm Did you favour any particular model though, from your research into them, other than the one you linked to in your first post?
Unfortunately, I can't remember now. I threw all my notes away quite a while ago.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

No problem :) Will have a look around.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

DSC02777.JPG
DSC02812.JPG
Here is my effort. It has since had a bit more welded in to strengthen the top X bar
pbar

Post by pbar »

Looks very meaty Hamish, must be up to most jobs that. I have thought about making my own, so thanks for pics, will be a good guide should I decide to do so.