Rollover jig

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pauliil1948
Donator
Donator
Car(s): D reg 280 , various others

Rollover jig

Post by pauliil1948 »

Hi guys, I am going to build a rollover jig for my 280 ,has anyone done one before, some pics or measurements would help ,I know you can buy them for under £300 ,but I like making stuff,any help would be much appreciated,Paul.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Rollover jig

Post by Mc Tool »

I been thinkin about this for a while too, I don't have the room to roll a car over , I need something like a spit roaster with a fixed axis rather than something with that rolls on the floor with big hoops at each end . A lot depends on how much a stripped out body shell weighs ( I have no idea ) as there is no point if the thing is to heavy to manage , I guess if you could find the C of G axis thru the middle of the car . And how to attach the implement once constructed :xd: , I thought about using the bumper mounts :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pauliil1948
Donator
Donator

Post by pauliil1948 »

When I said rollover jig,what I meant was what you described ,not one with the big hoops you rollover I posted a question on an other form (cp) and a kind gent has replied with some very handy pic ans sizes ,that you can see what is involved,hope this helps ,
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

i just bought mine from roll-over jigs. But yes it is a spit roast style rather than a cage that goes around the car to allow you to roll it over!
I have very small garage and it means i can have more space and easier angle of car to work on it.
I have had mine with axle and front suspension on it, but that just means you need to balance the car by trial and error by offsetting the axis due to the weight in the car.
The jig holds it well, but i did spend the extra for the heavy duty version which can do vans etc

It really is very simple
2 rectangular thick wall box section with tube welded on top. Great big bolt goese through and then these legs go down in A frame with a small cross brace which is flat bar.
the feet are just more rectangular box section with a u welded on and a bolt goes through the bottom and held by wuite a small bolt. It doesn't look beafy, but it does the job well and i have been using mine for years now.

I reckon if you were to build a copy it maybe cost you £120 in materials and then maybe half a day to a day to make. Just easier to buy haha and mans you can get on spending time on the car rather than building a jig to hold the car if you see what i mean
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I had a look at the post on CP and followed the link and saw everything I needed ( Loved the sound track ) , so thanks for that pointer :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hi there,

I know some people make them out of heavy duty engine stands which would be interesting. I had thought of making one from scaffolding as there are websites that sell all the elbow joints and such, also wheels! Plus you can take it apart when not needed.

I wanted to make one of those CJ Autos ones but I'm not great at welding and have no space. I think they are called chassis tilters. I did a little design of one on Sketchup. I am happy to send you the file if you want to have a look.
pauliil1948
Donator
Donator

Post by pauliil1948 »

Thanks guys,for all the help and pics iam nearly done will post some pics of it when I get it on it once engine is out (if it doesn't fall to bits ) thanks again Paul.