Hi can anyone help with information on a V8 Capri conversion

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Hi can anyone help with information on a V8 Capri conversion

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah , we are talkin different things , I want a STREET , (as in drive it to work every day , get the groceries , cat to the vet ... that sort of thing ) , car engine where as your talking a drag car . I think the 0 - 100 times are a good indicator of the " seat of the pants" power comparisons ( for those who cant actually drive the car ) and if your into drag racing I guess that's about where it ends , but I would like to arrive at the end of that straight in something with at least an advantageous weight distribution to negotiate the rapidly approaching corner if has to be significantly heavier than stock. Im not dissin your chev its just that it is simply to heavy for a light weight street car , specially if you have to plonk it pretty much right over the front wheels ( street car so no choppin firewalls or trans tunnels ) . As for 400 - 500 hp ...... nah , I personally wouldn't push a Rover much past 250 hp for a street engine , 300 if I was racing it but any more than that an Id be looking for something else.
When I was a young aspiring hot rod owner the only thing around to repower any project was American iron , now the all ally, hi tech 4 valve, quad cam , ecu'd stuff is old enough to be affordable power ,with huge potential . I wanted a budget priced trad V8 ..... with a 4 barrel and push rods , without the weight of an iron block / heads ...........there aint a lot of options :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi MC,

When I had my Chevy conversion done we removed the cast iron cylinder heads and intake manifold and replaced them with Edelbrock items, I had what was called the Performer RPM package, which consisted of matched Cam, Heads & Intake, with the cast iron heads and intake replaced the front of the car lifted 1 inch so a substantial weight loss right there, although the only reason I replaced the items was because they had reached the end of their tuning potential, the end product didn't weigh that much more than the 3.0 Essex it replaced and was starting to edge closer to the magical 500HP

You are absolutely correct with regards to the Rover being a lot lighter though, when I had my conversion done I faced the dilemma of a Rover 3.5 or the SBC, my conclusion was that if I'm going to go through with a V8 conversion why bother putting an engine in there that's only 500cc bigger than I already had so I choose the Chevy, it was built for street not strip and honestly it used to embarrass a lot of so called quick cars at the time and it still would even today, no doubt the performance parts for a Chevy have moved on in the 14 years since I had her so god knows what can be done now, I ran a standard 2.8 LSD behind it with no issues and the transmission was a Turbo TH350 auto box, I wish I still had the car but if I'm honest I probably wouldn't have the balls to use its full potential anyway now that I have mellowed in my old age, so its the little 3.0 Essex for me now :(
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I gotta say that if I had a 3l engine already in there it would have to be a 3.9 if I bothered at all . If I had more money I would have a look at a sbc or 302w and go for the ally block and heads .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh