Indicators gone fookin nuts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Will Walters
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser - Maroon

Indicators gone fookin nuts

Post by Will Walters »

Never had problems with my indicators then when I went to take the car out the other day (it had been damp) they were acting up a lot.

So instead of down=left, middle=off, up=right I had down=nothing, middle=left, right=left..

It did make me chuckle at first at how ridiculous it was but now it’s just annoying! I took the indicator assembly off and blasted it with a hairdryer then some wd40 (didn’t really know what I was doing) but the only thing that did was stop middle=left. Can I take the assembly apart and clean it up to get it working or am I best to to just replace it?

Cheers!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Indicators gone fookin nuts

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Try Martin or CCI for a replacement.
There are also some on Ebay, such as this one from Nial Diamond.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-mk ... SwD8ZZ54fR

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

As Andrew says, try and find a replacement. There's not usually a lot you can do with worn units.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I tried several times to clean my indicator stalk with switch cleaner & WD40 on cotton buds when it started to play up but to no avail and ended up buying a good second hand one instead.

Check the part number on your switch matches with the one you buy as there were 2 types. These both look the same and the plugs fit the same - but the internal wiring is different.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

I've seen on ebay that there's people selling new aftermarket ones. I bought one as a backup but haven't tried it yet. I looks close-ish, but maybe a little *cheap* looking :(
Not_Anumber wrote:Check the part number on your switch matches with the one you buy as there were 2 types. These both look the same and the plugs fit the same - but the internal wiring is different.
Really? That's retarded! F***ing ford! :swear:
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

-JC- wrote:I've seen on ebay that there's people selling new aftermarket ones. I bought one as a backup but haven't tried it yet. I looks close-ish, but maybe a little *cheap* looking :(
I've just had a quick look and guess that this link is what you mean?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Ind ... Sw0bJZuiCI

Never realised that people starting making repros! Even if they are cheap I hope they keep going for a while, we all seem to get through these stalks and I've never seen anyone else making them so would rather something than nothing if push came to shove :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I've just checked the part number on a Capri one here and it is different to the ones quoted. I don't think it will work but I may be wrong. I do know that early MK2 and MK3 are wired differently, they will plug in but don't work.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Caprigear wrote:I've just checked the part number on a Capri one here and it is different to the ones quoted. I don't think it will work but I may be wrong. I do know that early MK2 and MK3 are wired differently, they will plug in but don't work.

Hmm, if i ever take the dash apart enough to test it i'll report back. Maybe it was too good to be true! :(

Edit: Do you still have spare ones for sale? I had one off you once before but seem to remember you saying you'd got no stock left so I started worrying about future replacements - I know these don't last!!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

-JC- wrote:I had one off you once before but seem to remember you saying you'd got no stock left so I started worrying about future replacements - I know these don't last!!
I'm scared to used my indicators now lest I should break it again! Not exactly an easy part to reproduce so either need to start find a repro option or figure out a way to fix it
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

-JC- wrote:Maybe it was too good to be true!
The part may well be perfectly good....just not for your car. It does state in the listing it's for a '72-'79 Capri.

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

-JC- wrote:
Caprigear wrote:I've just checked the part number on a Capri one here and it is different to the ones quoted. I don't think it will work but I may be wrong. I do know that early MK2 and MK3 are wired differently, they will plug in but don't work.

Hmm, if i ever take the dash apart enough to test it i'll report back. Maybe it was too good to be true! :(

Edit: Do you still have spare ones for sale? I had one off you once before but seem to remember you saying you'd got no stock left so I started worrying about future replacements - I know these don't last!!
I may have one available. I am away from the workshop until Monday morning so I'll try it out on a car and see if it's all O.K.