Essex V6 carb jetting

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
nickm
Car(s): Scimitar SE5[previously Capri 3.0Sx2,2.8injection and 5.8V8]

Essex V6 carb jetting

Post by nickm »

I'm new to this forum and don't even own a Capri[at the moment]so I hope you don't mind me
asking a few questions.
I have owned a few Capris in the past[3.0 and 2.8i] but they are getting a bit pricey so I bought
a 1970 Scimitar with the Essex V6 and have just rebuilt the engine with John Wade stage 2
heads[ported and 44.5mm inlets],9.8:1 pistons,V63 cam and tubular manifolds.
I'm just looking for some advice on jets for the 38 DGMS carb.
I fitted 152 mains,55 idles and 185 air correctors.
Has anyone experience of a similar spec engine and does the jetting sound about right?
What sort of power should I be getting?
Cheers,
Nick
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Essex V6 carb jetting

Post by 340truck »

Having spent money building a nicely specc'ed engine I would have thought it makes sense to spend some more money on a rolling road session where they can optimise your jetting, cam timing etc etc. Asking for jet sizes on a forum is futile. anyone who can know exactly what jets you need from a description of your engine (genius level intelligence) is making alot of money from his knowledge.
nickm
Car(s): Scimitar SE5[previously Capri 3.0Sx2,2.8injection and 5.8V8]

Post by nickm »

Fair comment.
I will have to start saving again for a rolling road session
and maybe a carb upgrade.
I goes pretty well as it is mind,very pleased with the V63 cam.
It's not peaky and gives loads of midrange.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Id echo those comments. I just went with other people's suggestions when jetting a 38/38 that I was putting on a modified Pinto a couple of years ago. It seemed ok ish though the fuel consumption was quite heavy for the lightweight kit car it was in.
When I sold it the new owner got it booked onto a rolling road the next day and reported that the jets were way off what the engine actually needed. Changing them improved the bhp and road manners whilst the fuel consumption came right down. I should have done that.