Engine cut out whilst driving...

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Pans8pie
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser

Engine cut out whilst driving...

Post by Pans8pie »

Hey guys, laser 2.0 here.
So I'm waiting at a busy junction go to pull away and the revs dropped, stalled and literally everything died, no turn over, no clicks, no electrics, no nothing. Rolled to side of road and after couple mins everything sprang back to life... So my question is what are we thinking here? Dodgy earth somewhere? (batt, starter motor, alternator all new) any help is as always greatly appreciated!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Engine cut out whilst driving...

Post by Paul G »

Sounds like a dodgy contact somewhere. Check engine earth and chassis earth straps, main feed to starter and other wires on starter and check the battery terninals are tightening properly espacially if your battery has the conversion to round terminal style connectors.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'd look at battery terminals, particularly the small black wire that connects to live.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Maybe the condenser on the distributor?
They can overheat and cut out, then come back to life as they cool down.
And age is no guarantee. I've had brand new ones pack up and others go on for 10 years or more
Pans8pie
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser

Post by Pans8pie »

thanks for the useful ideas, turns out it was the thick (neg) lead on batt (potentially the terminal conversion wasnt as tight as needed either) had no power at all when turning the key this morn then a little wiggle of this wire with the key in the ignition and everything came back to life, thus solving the mystery.

*for anyone looking at this later for tips its the thick black V shaped lead that goes from the negative terminal on the battery; one wire to the inner wing and the other bolted to the block under the dizzy.