What’s your favourite car show ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: What’s your favourite car show ?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: :sorry: Andrew it wasn't Deals on Wheels, it was Autotrader with Mike Brewer and Edd China.
Never heard of it.....

Andrew.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

I love pretty much all of them and watch religously but all for different reasons.

In no real order.

Fantom Works
Counting Cars
Fast n Loud
Diesel Bros
Gear Dogs
Misfit Garage (Clump is so talented but very whiney)
Car Chasers
Car Hoarders/Slam
Garage Rehab (not so great)
Chasing Classis Cars - Wayne is SOO passionate
Barratt Jackson Vegas
Top Gear
The Grand Tour
I could go on...

Its a wonder I get anything done! Oh yeah, I don't! :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: :sorry: Andrew it wasn't Deals on Wheels, it was Autotrader with Mike Brewer and Edd China.
Never heard of it.....

Andrew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFmw9CTwLg
andyd

Post by andyd »

SmokeEm wrote:I love pretty much all of them and watch religously but all for different reasons.

In no real order.

Fantom Works
Counting Cars
Fast n Loud
Diesel Bros
Gear Dogs
Car Chasers
Car Hoarders/Slam
Barratt Jackson Vegas
Top Gear
The Grand Tour
I could go on...

A few of those I haven't heard of :? Probably on channels I don't have access too....
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

The restorations that Mark Evans did were the best shows by a mile. It showed the true extent and cost of a full restoration. Not like the car SOS etc where half of the programme is made up of blagging of parts or taking time out for a jolly.

What really pisses me off is the stupid deadlines, the car has been off the road for 20 years but it has to be finished in 3 weeks - total bollocks!
Added to that the car goes from rot box to show car with only a fleeting glance at the work involved.

The argument is that it's a TV show and there is the entertainment side to consider but when you spend over half the show swearing at the TV as I do at the stupid stunts etc instead of focusing on the huge amount of work involved in turning a pile of rubbish into a safe road worthy car then it soon begins to wear a bit thin.

I suppose if you made a programme that truly showed the time and effort that went into a restoration the entertainment value would be pretty poor but at least it would be honest unlike these fantasy shows that we have at present.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Caprigear wrote:The restorations that Mark Evans did were the best shows by a mile. It showed the true extent and cost of a full restoration. Not like the car SOS etc where half of the programme is made up of blagging of parts or taking time out for a jolly.

What really pisses me off is the stupid deadlines, the car has been off the road for 20 years but it has to be finished in 3 weeks - total bollocks!
Added to that the car goes from rot box to show car with only a fleeting glance at the work involved.

The argument is that it's a TV show and there is the entertainment side to consider but when you spend over half the show swearing at the TV as I do at the stupid stunts etc instead of focusing on the huge amount of work involved in turning a pile of rubbish into a safe road worthy car then it soon begins to wear a bit thin.

I suppose if you made a programme that truly showed the time and effort that went into a restoration the entertainment value would be pretty poor but at least it would be honest unlike these fantasy shows that we have at present.
:agree: Here here!

The only way they can do some of those sheds they do in 3 weeks is by borrowing or buying another identical car in good condition. In most of the shots of Car SOS you see cars from other episodes parked up in the background and I think this proves that they can't do all of them at the same time. At least with the Ford Anglia resto they admitted that they had bought another car.

I would guess they use the dummy car for the shots of them presenting the cars back to the owners and give them their real cars back at a later date when they have been fixed properly.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
Caprigear wrote:The restorations that Mark Evans did were the best shows by a mile. It showed the true extent and cost of a full restoration. Not like the car SOS etc where half of the programme is made up of blagging of parts or taking time out for a jolly.

:agree: Here here!

The only way they can do some of those sheds they do in 3 weeks is by borrowing or buying another identical car in good condition. In most of the shots of Car SOS you see cars from other episodes parked up in the background and I think this proves that they can't do all of them at the same time. At least with the Ford Anglia resto they admitted that they had bought another car.

I would guess they use the dummy car for the shots of them presenting the cars back to the owners and give them their real cars back at a later date when they have been fixed properly.
Maybe I'm missing the point wih Car SOS, but it doesn't lend anything to the show imo.....The 3 week deadline is crap and I have never believed it as it takes months to do these cars properly.
Also giving people the idea that restoring a car is quick, and you can play stupid games to get parts discounted is wrong.

If I went to a Martin and asked for 50% discount, or guess what's in my back pocket or I get the parts for free, I would be told to F**k off, and rightly so.

I am always shouting to the T/V at Mike Brewer for rubbing, stroking and sitting on cars, either when painted, polished or before he has even bought the car from the current owner :doh: Although it is so edited, I'm sure the test drive is often the drive back after the deal is already done. And I read somewhere, members of the crew often posed as the new buyer if the car hadn't sold by the time the programme was aired.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Martin does that all the time i phone him and say have you got that really rare part that I have not been able to get for years and I am sure he has a time machine like Gary sparrow in goodnight sweetheart as a few days later I get a email saying “ I have one “ and the price on eBay is like two million pounds and Martin does 1980s prices .

But your right that Tim is full of ........ I wonder if car sos will do a Ford Capri I remember seeing a post this year that some of the members did the brooklands museum I think of a red Capri finished for a chap who had passed and the car was going on car sos but the chap passed away before they got to the car .

Also some of the car programmes you forget till you guys remember them .

But I hope Edd China picks up a good English car programme soon with his “ Top Tips “
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

andyd wrote:
SmokeEm wrote:I love pretty much all of them and watch religously but all for different reasons.

In no real order.

Fantom Works
Counting Cars
Fast n Loud
Diesel Bros
Gear Dogs
Car Chasers
Car Hoarders/Slam
Barratt Jackson Vegas
Top Gear
The Grand Tour
I could go on...

A few of those I haven't heard of :? Probably on channels I don't have access too....
All of the above are on Discovery except The Grand Tour & Counting Cars (History)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

SmokeEm wrote:
andyd wrote:

In no real order.

Fantom Works
Counting Cars
Fast n Loud
Diesel Bros
Gear Dogs
Car Chasers
Car Hoarders/Slam
Barratt Jackson Vegas
Top Gear
The Grand Tour
I could go on...

All of the above are on Discovery except The Grand Tour & Counting Cars (History)
Some of them are on Quest, so are free to view. (Ahem, that will be Freeview then :) )
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
SmokeEm wrote:
Some of them are on Quest, so are free to view. (Ahem, that will be Freeview then :) )
If it's on Quest or ITV4, then I'm ok :D
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

I forgot my Favourite!!!!!

Street Outlaws - LOVE IT!!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

My favourite car show is Classic Ford at Santa Pod :wave: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I just looked at nicks answer I did laugh , my fault as I should have put TV show but this might be a tv programme on a new tv channel ...
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:My favourite car show is Classic Ford at Santa Pod :wave: :)
I was going to say Doncaster Custom Show back in the 80's until I realised what was meant by 'Show'.....as in TV show.
I love car TV shows but get so sick of all the faux drama and the irritating 'blagging'...not to mention Brewers fat arse on freshly painted wing tops.... :wank:
I'm a fan of the rat trucks churned out by Steve Darnell at WelderUp.......plus he doesn't seem such a dick head as the likes of Richard Rawlings or that Wayne c*nt that that miserable Boyd Coddington had up his arse.
I enjoyed watching Lepu 'destroy' motors but got equally bored of that bald jellied eel munching prat, Bernie.
Top Gear lost its way years ago.......I only watch the specials which are really good but bring back William Woolard is all I can say on that one!
If TV companies listened to fans of the shows, maybe we'd get more spannering and less shite like Tim Shaw mincing about or fake confrontations by chopper building fathers and sons etc ...yawwwwnnnn :drama:
OH, and yanks that 'WHOOP' at any given oportunity ...... :swear: :woot:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Worst car show.....Yianni: Supercar Customiser.
All he ever seems to do to the cars is apply a vinyl wrap! :roll:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Worst car show.....Yianni: Supercar Customiser.
All he ever seems to do to the cars is apply a vinyl wrap! :roll:

Andrew.
Saw the preview Andrew, that was enough for me :roll:

WD series 12 did the Pontiac GTO last night. Good episode and MB was just watchable.....

Not seen any Fantom Works series 3 as it starts at 10pm and I'm almost asleep by then :)

I often watch Dream Cars How It's Made, on Quest Channel.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I often watch Dream Cars How It's Made, on Quest Channel.
I've been watching that too.
Quest is quite good for car shows at the moment, I've also been watching some of the older WD episodes, and they are much better than I remember them!

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I often watch Dream Cars How It's Made, on Quest Channel.
I've been watching that too.
Quest is quite good for car shows at the moment, I've also been watching some of the older WD episodes, and they are much better than I remember them!

Andrew.
:agree:
As were the Top Gear series around 2003/4 when they still reviewed cars, unlike the latter series just racing around the continent in supercars.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So Tonight my daughter who is 11 asked if she could watch Top Gear with me , now I have not watched the new lot as I don’t like that bloke out of friends but I thought evens has gone I will give it ago .
What a load rubbish really sorry I love cars but it feels like somebody on you tube trying to be Clarkson May and Hammond .
Also my daughter did not like it after 10 mins .
Funny have watched Top Gear from the very first days . They really need to change the music and the whole show .

Back to Quest yes they seem to have some good car programmes on at the moment . Makes a change . :beer: