Front washer jets and brake lights

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Front washer jets and brake lights

Post by D366Y »

Howdy all, I'm currently trying to fix a few niggly bits with the car...

One of which is the front washer pump won't go. I've taken the back pump and tried it on the front, but still not doing anything, and all the wires run straight into the bulkhead so I'm out of ideas

Also the rear lights come on with the fronts as expected, but the brake lights don't work when pressing he pedal down? The connections are good on the bulbs so not sure what else to check?

Cheers!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Front washer jets and brake lights

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:Howdy all, I'm currently trying to fix a few niggly bits with the car...

One of which is the front washer pump won't go. I've taken the back pump and tried it on the front, but still not doing anything, and all the wires run straight into the bulkhead so I'm out of ideas

Also the rear lights come on with the fronts as expected, but the brake lights don't work when pressing he pedal down? The connections are good on the bulbs so not sure what else to check?

Cheers!
Could be either the bulbs themselves or the switch on the brake pedal has failed. Obviously check fuses etc are clean and intact as well.

Fuse 1 (nearest the back) is the washer pump one and there should be a red wire connected to it which heads off into to loom.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the quick reply Paul, I can try changing the bulbs, how would I be able to tell if the pedal has failed?

All fuses are there, intact and cleaned and you're spot on, red wire off into the loom.

Also, the hazard lights work, but the individual indicators don't??

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Paul, I can try changing the bulbs, how would I be able to tell if the pedal has failed?

All fuses are there, intact and cleaned and you're spot on, red wire off into the loom.

Also, the hazard lights work, but the individual indicators don't??

Cheers
For the pedal switch you will have to drop out the lower dashboard and it will be facing you on the front of the pedal box. To test the circuit pull off the wiring plug and bridge the terminals. Switch on your ignition and the brake lights will be on if the circuit and the bulbs are OK.

If the switch has gone it unscrews from the pedal box and a new one goes in. Will need adjusting to get it in the right place and the lights coming on when the pedal is pressed.

Indicators are probably a problem with either the hazard warning light switch (work it on and off a few times) or the flasher relay itself. That is one of the relays up under the dashboard just above the bonnet catch. Can't remember which, put the hazards on and you will feel that one pulsing so it will be the other one! They won't work if you've got any part of the circuit disconnected.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

OK so I've dropped the dash and shirted the circuit, that didn't work and I'm all out of bulbs so will have to check the bulbs and then if not the pedal switch so will have to check and come back!

Pressing the hazard button now gets them to go (great) but using the indicator stalk itself yields no response whatsoever.... the indicator goes into place, but the relay doesn't go and obviously the lights do nothing either.... such fun! :banghead:
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:OK so I've dropped the dash and shirted the circuit, that didn't work and I'm all out of bulbs so will have to check the bulbs and then if not the pedal switch so will have to check and come back!

Pressing the hazard button now gets them to go (great) but using the indicator stalk itself yields no response whatsoever.... the indicator goes into place, but the relay doesn't go and obviously the lights do nothing either.... such fun! :banghead:
Both are worked off fuse 7, may pay to give that an extra good clean up and maybe unscrew the fuse box and clean the terminals underneath it too. There is only one power out terminal under the fusebox for fuse 7 ; it is power fed underneath from fuse 6.

If this isn't it I'd return to looking at your earths on the rear lights.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:
D366Y wrote:OK so I've dropped the dash and shirted the circuit, that didn't work and I'm all out of bulbs so will have to check the bulbs and then if not the pedal switch so will have to check and come back!

Both are worked off fuse 7, may pay to give that an extra good clean up and maybe unscrew the fuse box and clean the terminals underneath it too. There is only one power out terminal under the fusebox for fuse 7 ; it is power fed underneath from fuse 6.

If this isn't it I'd return to looking at your earths on the rear lights.
Paul, you're a star! Will go back and have another bash again today then and see what happens!

Cheers
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks Paul!

Took the whole fuse box out, underneath it all the connections there were good, soldered up the spades on top and thoroughly cleaned the whole thing up with some sandpaper, was about to stick it back together and the wire from fuse 1 into the loom was a bit naff and had been a tad bodged by someone else before, so cut that off, soldered a new wire and spade on, stuck it all back together and suddenly the washer pump, indicators and brake lights all started working!!

Couldn't have done it without you so definitely owe you a few beers, now the GL is ready for an MOT!

Cheers
Danny
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Glad you got to the bottom of it in the end.