Exhaust rubbing tyre

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Exhaust rubbing tyre

Post by tejb1 »

Hi all

My 1.6 has had a Sportex exhaust fitted by a previous keeper, the other day I found that it's been rubbing against the NSR tyre inner sidewall, so I'll need fresh tyre for starters...

The rubber bush on which the hanger is mounted was knackered so I went and bought a new one, and that's improved things slightly, but it's still very close.The exhaust has enough flexibility to sit in the right position a little further away it's just a case of getting it to stay there!

I'm thinking of making up a smaller bush out of some rubber, and trying to use a cable tie perhaps to keep the hanger in the right position.
Or a mallet to indent that part of the pipe!

Hope the above makes sense... Any thoughts?

Thanks
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Re: Exhaust rubbing tyre

Post by damajin »

If you can post some pictures that would help.

I would def. recommend against using cable ties as they won't withstand the heat of the exhaust. Metal cable ties are available but it still feels like more of a get-you-home fix than a permanent solution.

There are loads of universal exhaust bushes available so you may be able to get something to work where it hangs in the right place. It would also be worth checking the hangers and bushes along the rest of the length of the exhaust, it may be being pushed over to that size because another one has perished and become slack.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I have a Sportex on my 2.8i which was put on by the PO just prior to me buying it. I thought it was awful at first as the exhaust clanged about going over even very small bumps in the road but the problem was just the way it was fitted not the exhaust itself at all.
I spent an hour or so loosening off all the U clamps and then rotated the pipes until all the exhaust sections were in the best position with decent amounts of clearance. It took a couple of attempts to get it spot on but it's fine now, time well spent.

In the interim I managed to pick up a good second hand pair of original exhausts but frankly I dont feel any pressing need to swap them over as the Sportex exhausts are doing the job nicely.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Not_Anumber wrote:I have a Sportex on my 2.8i which was put on by the PO just prior to me buying it. I thought it was awful at first as the exhaust clanged about going over even very small bumps in the road but the problem was just the way it was fitted not the exhaust itself at all.
I spent an hour or so loosening off all the U clamps and then rotated the pipes until all the exhaust sections were in the best position with decent amounts of clearance. It took a couple of attempts to get it spot on but it's fine now, time well spent.

In the interim I managed to pick up a good second hand pair of original exhausts but frankly I dont feel any pressing need to swap them over as the Sportex exhausts are doing the job nicely.
I agree with this, the underlying problem will be with how the complete system has been fitted. To get them right lying on your back with the car up on stands is very difficult.

It is important with the front end of the system being right first - the front pipe where it crosses the car should be level and not leaning down as so many are. Then the centre pipe should be fitted, again with the box level and not tilted and finally the rear section put on, loosely mounted on its rubbers and moved side to side so as it clears the wheel, the shock and the bodywork before the clamps are finally tightened. This is best done with the weight of the car on its wheels or it at least jacked and supported under the rear axle so the axle is not hanging down.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Having had to fit these stupid systems four times now, the advice from these guys really is invaluable...

The first time I fitted it I had the same problem, and being 17 (and really effing lazy) I just hammered the exhaust so it didn't rub anymore and i figured problem solved... A few years later I had to swap most of the parts over between cars along with buying new pieces of pipework too, neither of them rubbed when I actually spent a bit more time fitting it properly compared to just laying underneath the car (I don't think I even jacked it up first time around) and guessing that it was all in the right place.

Paul's point about the pipes being level was the problem I kept seeming to be having, it's also a tad easier if there is someone/something you can stick underneath to make sure they don't move about too much while trying to line everything up
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Thanks all for the quick replies!

Re using a cable tie I was more thinking to compress the bush and thus hold the pipe higher.

Good point 're the rest of the system needing tweaking. I guess I could get the back axle up on stands, get under and check the other mounts. It definitely sounds like a much easier (& quicker!) job if you have access to a 4 post ramp or similar!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I think we all dream of having a four post ramp and a pit in the garage!

Would make all these jobs so much easier
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Yeah, or know a friendly garage owner who doesn't mind you popping round when it's quiet and borrowing an empty ramp!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote:Yeah, or know a friendly garage owner who doesn't mind you popping round when it's quiet and borrowing an empty ramp!
It's worth asking, you never know!
My local garage man told me it was fine to pop down on a Saturday morning to use their ramp if I ever needed to.
This was a few years ago and I haven't had the opportunity to take him up on it (the offer, not the ramp), but I think the offer still stands. 8-)

Andrew.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

If the pipe was fitted with any clearance at all - which would normally have been so then it's your tyre that's catching on the exhaust! Subtle difference.
Fit an axle location kit then the axle won't move as far on heavy right-cornering.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

tejb1 wrote:Yeah, or know a friendly garage owner who doesn't mind you popping round when it's quiet and borrowing an empty ramp!
In this age of personal protective equipment and health and safety gone mad you will be very lucky to find someone willing I think. Imagine the insurance troubles and rigmarole if you hurt yourself.

Still, there are some around I guess, as Andrew says. The other week I had a car in for MOT, number plate light was out. Go and find yourself some tools and change that bulb he says to me, as he's revving the car to get it through the emissions. Old school 8-)
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Yes, it would definitely only happen if you knew (and were trusted by) the proprietor!

A friend has offered to give me a hand tomorrow bringing over his trolley jack and axle stands so fingers crossed we'll make some progress... failing that will make up a custom bush at work for it.