Pinto cambelt cover bolts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Pinto cambelt cover bolts

Post by tejb1 »

Hi all,

Had an odd rattling from the engine the other day and found it was coming from the cam belt cover. On further investigation the bottom bolt had come off. Took the cover off (in my paranoia, lest it snag on something) for now. I don't suppose anyone could let me know what size/length the bottom bolt is, and I assume there should be a rubber washer between the bolt and the cover on both sides?

thanks
Tom.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Pinto cambelt cover bolts

Post by Paul G »

tejb1 wrote:Hi all,

Had an odd rattling from the engine the other day and found it was coming from the cam belt cover. On further investigation the bottom bolt had come off. Took the cover off (in my paranoia, lest it snag on something) for now. I don't suppose anyone could let me know what size/length the bottom bolt is, and I assume there should be a rubber washer between the bolt and the cover on both sides?

thanks
Tom.
The bolts are M6 about 20 - 25mm long, preferably with a shoulder. It may pay to contact Martin at Capri gear to get the right ones as they have quite a thick shoulder on them.

There is a rubber grommet that goes in the cambelt cover holes but these are very difficult to get hold of but a general wiring grommet may do the job. You may be lucky and get the correct ones off ebay - I got some about a month ago but they don't seem to be listing them at the minute.

If you can't get the correct grommets, put a couple of washers behind the cover just to space it out from the engine a little.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Thanks Paul. I've dropped Martin an email. In the interim I'll either keep the cover off or do as you suggested with a couple of washers and a grommet. Cheers.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

tejb1 wrote:Thanks Paul. I've dropped Martin an email. In the interim I'll either keep the cover off or do as you suggested with a couple of washers and a grommet. Cheers.
I took my cover off a few years back to re-paint it, as soon as I took it off my brother walked over the top of it and bent it, never put it back on since!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
renaulthater
Car(s): Laser laquer red 1600

Post by renaulthater »

Hi are you sorted with the cam cover bolts / grommet?