strut top attachment

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
SpikeCapri
Car(s): Ford Capri X-Pack 1987

strut top attachment

Post by SpikeCapri »

On my recent MOT one of the advisories was for the nearside strut top attachment having slight play and I also have a lot of steering wheel wobble at speeds over 40mph. I'm putting 2 and 2 together and assuming that the wobble is caused by the top attachment.

Would I need a new strut or is the top attachment a seperate piece? Either way, where is the best place to get a replacement?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: strut top attachment

Post by Paul G »

SpikeCapri wrote:On my recent MOT one of the advisories was for the nearside strut top attachment having slight play and I also have a lot of steering wheel wobble at speeds over 40mph. I'm putting 2 and 2 together and assuming that the wobble is caused by the top attachment.

Would I need a new strut or is the top attachment a seperate piece? Either way, where is the best place to get a replacement?
The strut top mount is a separate item to the strut. You will also need spring compressors to compress the coil spring before removing the large nut in the centre of the strut top - on no account whatsoever remove this nut without the sping completely compressed. Before condemning the strut top it may pay to just make sure that this centre nut is fully tightened.

I don't think new strut tops are available at the minute but Capri Gear, Tickover, Nial Diamond or CCi would probably have them in good condition for sale.

The steering wobble could be caused by the top mount but it could also be worn TCA bushes, steering rack or tyres as well as loose front wheel bearings.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Burtons are showing a few different options to suit the Capri :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have good used original strut top mounts in stock.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Mc Tool wrote:Burtons are showing a few different options to suit the Capri :)
None are standard though, and iirc they all have downsides to them (as well as upsides) - harsher ride, stiffer steering, raised ride height etc
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."