Oil change

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Dreamachine
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:40 pm
Car(s): Ford capri 2.0 restoration project
Ford focus daily driver
Location: Burnley

Oil change

Postby Dreamachine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Just wondered what the best grade of oil for a 2.0 pinto

caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Re: Oil change

Postby caprikid61 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:53 pm

I use castrol GTX 10/40 never had any problems, the only oil I tried that was not keen on was halfords classic 20/50 for some reason I found my engine burned oil when using . Never uses a drop with castrol and no blue smoke eather.

Paul G
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Oil change

Postby Paul G » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 pm

As Caprikid says, a good 10/W40 or 15W40 should be fine. Preferably use a mineral oil and change it reasonably regularly - ie 3000 miles or at least once a year. For GTX keep an eye on your local ASDA as they often sell it at unbeatable prices.

20/50 may be better if your engine is a bit clapped out or if your oil pressure is on the low side.

The zinc content is not as important in the pinto as it is in the 1300's and the V6's as they do not have flat tappets.

Dreamachine
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:40 pm
Car(s): Ford capri 2.0 restoration project
Ford focus daily driver
Location: Burnley

Re: Oil change

Postby Dreamachine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Cheers guys.thanks for the advice 8-)

User avatar
3 Litre Power
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:41 pm
Car(s): 1975 3.0 Ghia factory manual
Sunset Red w/ black vinyl roof
Black vinyl interior
490.000Km
Location: In the garage...

Re: Oil change

Postby 3 Litre Power » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 am

I would not use GTX as the Zddp concentration is just 600 ppm.

Zddp ( Zincdialkyldithiophosphate ( Zinc + Phosphorous ) ) is an additive that is used to protect the camshaft and tappets from eating away at eachother in old sliding follower engines, it's been cut back though in a lot of oils because it damages catalytic converters, the general consensus is that old sliding or flat tappet engines need about 1000-1200 to not have long term wear.

Is your Pinto going to eat it's camshaft because of the oil? probably not, but at the next change i would use something from Morris, Millers, Penrite, Valvoline VR1...

Don't use Halfords Classic or Comma Classic either as these too have low Zddp even if they are labeled "classic"

Use a Motorcraft filter and change at 12/18 months depending on usage, you can go 6000 miles if you do that within a year, cheack the oil regularly!
Last edited by 3 Litre Power on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Mk2 Capri Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FordCapriMk2
:burnout:
Engine oil expert
Finnish but born and raised in Spain.

User avatar
3 Litre Power
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:41 pm
Car(s): 1975 3.0 Ghia factory manual
Sunset Red w/ black vinyl roof
Black vinyl interior
490.000Km
Location: In the garage...

Re: Oil change

Postby 3 Litre Power » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:30 am

Paul G wrote:As Caprikid says, a good 10/W40 or 15W40 should be fine. Preferably use a mineral oil and change it reasonably regularly - ie 3000 miles or at least once a year. For GTX keep an eye on your local ASDA as they often sell it at unbeatable prices.

20/50 may be better if your engine is a bit clapped out or if your oil pressure is on the low side.

The zinc content is not as important in the pinto as it is in the 1300's and the V6's as they do not have flat tappets.

Any engine with tappets that don't have a roller are considered flat tappet, such as the Pinto.
My Mk2 Capri Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FordCapriMk2
:burnout:
Engine oil expert
Finnish but born and raised in Spain.

Paul G
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Oil change

Postby Paul G » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 am

3 Litre Power wrote:
Paul G wrote:As Caprikid says, a good 10/W40 or 15W40 should be fine. Preferably use a mineral oil and change it reasonably regularly - ie 3000 miles or at least once a year. For GTX keep an eye on your local ASDA as they often sell it at unbeatable prices.

20/50 may be better if your engine is a bit clapped out or if your oil pressure is on the low side.

The zinc content is not as important in the pinto as it is in the 1300's and the V6's as they do not have flat tappets.

Any engine with tappets that don't have a roller are considered flat tappet, such as the Pinto.


I don't agree, the pinto is a sliding tappet.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Oil change

Postby andyd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:55 pm

3 Litre Power wrote:I would not use GTX as the Zddp concentration is just 600 ppm.

Zddp ( Zincdialkyldithiophosphate ( Zinc + Phosphorous ) ) is an additive that is used to protect the camshaft and tappets from eating away at eachother in old sliding follower engines, it's been cut back though in a lot of oils because it damages catalytic converters, the general consensus is that old sliding or flat tappet engines need about 1000-1200 to not have long term wear.

Is your Pinto going to eat it's camshaft because of the oil? probably not, but at the next change i would use something from Morris, Millers, Penrite, Valvoline VR1...

Don't use Halfords Classic or Comma Classic either as these too have low Zddp even if they are labeled "classic"

Use a Motorcraft filter and change at 12/18 months depending on usage, you can go 6000 miles if you do that within a year, cheack the oil regularly!

Hi,
What is your opinion on the oils here for my car (2.9 Cologne, 70K miles) http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2354-lookup ... ilter=1989
I do probably 1000 miles max over summer months, then dry store it over winter, and had intended on using 10w40 semi synthetic again, possibly Castrol GTX Semi....
Have been told filter can be done every 2 years going by that use/mileage :? Or still change oil and filter yearly :?: :?:

The more I look into it the more confused i get...... :doh: Like the saying, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :)

Thanks

Paul G
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Oil change

Postby Paul G » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Any comments on this people?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/East-Coast-ZD ... Sw65FXqe7P

It would be helpful if oil manufacturers made their levels of zddp easier to find.

Re oil filter Andy, I'd change it at the same time as the oil - they don't cost much. Personally I'd do it annually, especially if a lot of the car's journeys are short, but maybe that's overkill with what others say. I've always changed the oil annualy in our old Polo and when you open the filler cap the engine is clean shiny aluminium with no sludge build up at all - after 22 years of stop start short journeys.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Oil change

Postby andyd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Paul G wrote:


Re oil filter Andy, I'd change it at the same time as the oil - they don't cost much. Personally I'd do it annually, especially if a lot of the car's journeys are short, but maybe that's overkill with what others say. I've always changed the oil annualy in our old Polo and when you open the filler cap the engine is clean shiny aluminium with no sludge build up at all - after 22 years of stop start short journeys.


Thanks Paul, as you say it makes sense for what the items cost.....

Looking back over the years, taking my cars to garage for servicing etc and just assuming they used the correct grade oil etc :?

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4651
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Oil change

Postby pbar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm

caprikid61 wrote:I use castrol GTX 10/40 never had any problems.


Paul G wrote:As Caprikid says, a good 10/W40 or 15W40 should be fine.


Yes, same here, Castrol GTX 10/40, never needed to use anything else. I drive as much as I like, just get in and drive off.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Oil change

Postby andyd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:09 am

pbar wrote:
caprikid61 wrote:I use castrol GTX 10/40 never had any problems.


Paul G wrote:As Caprikid says, a good 10/W40 or 15W40 should be fine.


Yes, same here, Castrol GTX 10/40, never needed to use anything else. I drive as much as I like, just get in and drive off.

Old school :cheers:

User avatar
3 Litre Power
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:41 pm
Car(s): 1975 3.0 Ghia factory manual
Sunset Red w/ black vinyl roof
Black vinyl interior
490.000Km
Location: In the garage...

Re: Oil change

Postby 3 Litre Power » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 am

This would be a good choice for a Pinto, or a 2.9 Cologne : https://www.classic-oils.net/Classic-Oi ... tch-10W-40

Not a bad price, specs are good and has plenty of that Zddp to ensure that the cam is happy.

If you want to keep using GTX go ahead, Castrol's consumer relations departments advises against using GTX in old flat tappet engines, i'd rather be safe than sorry personally :).
My Mk2 Capri Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FordCapriMk2
:burnout:
Engine oil expert
Finnish but born and raised in Spain.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Oil change

Postby andyd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 am

3 Litre Power wrote:This would be a good choice for a Pinto, or a 2.9 Cologne : https://www.classic-oils.net/Classic-Oi ... tch-10W-40

Not a bad price, specs are good and has plenty of that Zddp to ensure that the cam is happy.

If you want to keep using GTX go ahead, Castrol's consumer relations departments advises against using GTX in old flat tappet engines, i'd rather be safe than sorry personally :).

Thanks for the link. Wont be changing it until the spring, just wanted some opinions for now.

Not sure what oil is currently in it, as was serviced by dealer before I bought it, he said it was 10/40 semi when i asked.....

Paul G
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Oil change

Postby Paul G » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am

andyd wrote:
Thanks Paul, as you say it makes sense for what the items cost.....

Looking back over the years, taking my cars to garage for servicing etc and just assuming they used the correct grade oil etc :?


TBH Andy most garages used 10 or 15W40 which they bought cheap in 205 litre barrels. I doubt it was anything special.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Oil change

Postby andyd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 am

Paul G wrote:
andyd wrote:
Thanks Paul, as you say it makes sense for what the items cost.....

Looking back over the years, taking my cars to garage for servicing etc and just assuming they used the correct grade oil etc :?


TBH Andy most garages used 10 or 15W40 which they bought cheap in 205 litre barrels. I doubt it was anything special.

:agree: I like to buy my own parts now so I know whats been used :)

User avatar
3 Litre Power
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:41 pm
Car(s): 1975 3.0 Ghia factory manual
Sunset Red w/ black vinyl roof
Black vinyl interior
490.000Km
Location: In the garage...

Re: Oil change

Postby 3 Litre Power » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:38 pm

The last time i let a dealer service my car they put a GL-5 Axle oil in the gearbox causing it to grind and pop out of gear, put some new Ford GL-4 in it and problem solved.
I'm NEVER letting a dealer do any service work on my car.
My Mk2 Capri Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FordCapriMk2
:burnout:
Engine oil expert
Finnish but born and raised in Spain.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4651
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Oil change

Postby pbar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:15 am

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
caprikid61 wrote:I use castrol GTX 10/40 never had any problems.


Paul G wrote:As Caprikid says, a good 10/W40 or 15W40 should be fine.


Yes, same here, Castrol GTX 10/40, never needed to use anything else. I drive as much as I like, just get in and drive off.

Old school :cheers:


Old school is the best school Andy :)

Vermilion
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 am
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Re: Oil change

Postby Vermilion » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 am

I would suggest to use Mobil Peaklife (rallyformula) 5W-50 It has lots of ZDDP and its fully synthetic. Its good for camshaft and rockers,
especially for older engine and to car that doesnt' have catalytist converters. ZDDP reduces alot catalytist converters lifetime. Thats
why the won't use ZDDP anymore in oils.

IF YOU ARE AFRAID of synthetic oils Mobil HD 2000 has super much ZDPP (1800ppm) but it is mineral oil...
Kendal has lots of ZDPP oils but they are quite costly.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Oil change

Postby andyd » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:17 am

A little while ago I was being drawn to this https://www.millersoilsireland.ie/wp-co ... 0w40-p.jpg
And after a call to Millers Oils yesterday I have ordered one, with a confirmed Zddp of 1098 ppm.

It was also one of the recommendations by Opie Oils.


Return to “Q & A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 17 guests

cron