Soooo

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Soooo

Post by Arya2.0S »

Who knows how to change a clutch cable? Mine broke on the exact same stretch of road where my throttle cable snapped a few months ago, the night ended on the back of a breakdown truck then too. Go figure. My life.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Soooo

Post by Mc Tool »

What ? have they got whores down there or sommat ! stop driving down there then :xd:
Dis connect the engine 1st , hold clutch pedal up ( it has a spring that makes it head floorward when the tension is off the cable ) and then disconnect it from the pedal ( gotta get under the dash for a proper look ). Then fi the new one in reverse , and then fit the new handbrake cable Im sure you have realised by now is going to break next :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Arya2.0S wrote:Who knows how to change a clutch cable? Mine broke on the exact same stretch of road where my throttle cable snapped a few months ago, the night ended on the back of a breakdown truck then too. Go figure. My life.
Why did you go home in a breakdown truck? Why didn't you drive it home?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

340truck wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Who knows how to change a clutch cable? Mine broke on the exact same stretch of road where my throttle cable snapped a few months ago, the night ended on the back of a breakdown truck then too. Go figure. My life.
Why did you go home in a breakdown truck? Why didn't you drive it home?
You mean when the throttle cable broke or when the clutch cable went? Kinda hard to drive if you can't change into gear, same when you can't use the throttle lol. Though on that occasion I realized afterwards I could have slowly plodded home on the clutch but in my moment of panic and anxiety I just didn't think of it. Plus I pay for breakdown cover so might as well use it.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

You can change gear without a clutch. Driving without one is not possible in traffic or at really busy times, but otherwise relatively easy to do. Upchanges are easy accelerate smoothly and make the change earlier than usual. Come off the power and ease the stick through. Down is trickier - brake until the car is travelling slightly too slow for the gear you're in, flick the lever into neutral, blip the engine revs to 2500 and as the revs fall push the lever into the next lower gear. Learn it and practice it....you never know when it'll come in handy. A few crunches when learning will not hurt the box and you'll soon get the hang of it.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

340truck wrote:You can change gear without a clutch. Driving without one is not possible in traffic or at really busy times, but otherwise relatively easy to do. Upchanges are easy accelerate smoothly and make the change earlier than usual. Come off the power and ease the stick through. Down is trickier - brake until the car is travelling slightly too slow for the gear you're in, flick the lever into neutral, blip the engine revs to 2500 and as the revs fall push the lever into the next lower gear. Learn it and practice it....you never know when it'll come in handy. A few crunches when learning will not hurt the box and you'll soon get the hang of it.
Even better, if you're worried about crunching causing damage, practice in a hire car/van...!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hmm, i did not know you could change gear like that, i'll try to remember that next time thanks, but hopefully there wont be a next time!
Fitted the new cable from Burtons today, fitted like a charm apart from the hook that attaches to the pedal itself. The hook has a small hole which a piece of metal slides through and then that clips on to the pedal. the hole was just slightly too small by a micrometer or so so i had to file the hole to make it bigger, once that was sorted though (and apart from the immense awkwardness of working on your back under the steering column) it was a relatively easy job. Relatively. :roll:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Glad to here your up and running again :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Glad to here your up and running again :beer:
Yeah me too I was going through withdrawal lol. Cable needs some major adjustment though.