Radio Repair

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Radio Repair

Post by Capriscott »

My 1986 capri radio is starting to fail rapidly. The stations have started to not save, the signal drops out now and again, sometimes the radio turns on but the display with show random numbers and now the cassette player will not eject anymore.

Can anyone recommend someone to repair this for me.

thanks
Rumble
Rumble
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Radio Repair

Post by D366Y »

Capriscott wrote:My 1986 capri radio is starting to fail rapidly. The stations have started to not save, the signal drops out now and again, sometimes the radio turns on but the display with show random numbers and now the cassette player will not eject anymore.

Can anyone recommend someone to repair this for me.

thanks
Rumble
From memory the radio stations are saved using the battery in the radio itself so will need to come out and be replaced...?
Not much you can realistically do about the signal I don't think.. as everyone else is moving towards digital I think you might just have to live with a slightly naff signal

When you mention random numbers when you turn it on what do you mean? Could it be showing in AM rather than FM which obviously has a different way of showing the station?

In terms of getting the cassette to eject, if you are taking out the radio to replace the battery for the stations anyway I would have a look to see if you can figure out what is wrong the with eject while you are there

Hope some of this is helpful?!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have had two apart now and fixed the drive belts but I can not remember seeing a battery inside ?
I will have a look at the weekend and see if I can help as if I disconnect the battery I lose my radio stations as the should be a permanent live .
There’s a small spring that helps with the tape and that can sometimes come a drift a easy fix if that is it .

I will try and upload some pictures over the weekend of fixing but as I told somebody else on here the wires are 30+ years old so get a new fuse line in first and see if that helps also please disconnect the battery when removing the radio .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Yes, I always thought that the radio station memory was kept by the permanent live to the car battery.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

To be honest it's been so long since I've taken my radio out and it was such a ballache I don't make a habit of it :lol:
There was definitely a battery there of sorts... one of the big old flat batteries but maybe that was for the cassette driver or something?

Having said that though, losing all my stations when unplugging the battery is also true so am willing to bow to someone's superior knowledge!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:There was definitely a battery there of sorts
Hi Danny,
Have you still got the original radio in the car? You'll need something with a bit more poke to be able to hear it over the sound of the exhaust! :lol:

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote:There was definitely a battery there of sorts
Hi Danny,
Have you still got the original radio in the car? You'll need something with a bit more poke to be able to hear it over the sound of the exhaust! :lol:

Andrew.
:lol: Yes Andrew its still there! Have another new one hidden away in the glovebox though, still can't hear it most of the time!!