Bumper Help!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Kingy88
Car(s): Ford capri Mk 3 2.0 laser

Bumper Help!

Post by Kingy88 »

The guy I got my mk 3 off as welded up all gaps and holes for bumper fittings on the rear I've manages to get a mk 2 chrome bumper for the rear but it comes without any fixings anybody have any advice on what fixings I need and idealy what I need to be cutting back out planning on fitting it without overrides any more help would be brilliant.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: Bumper Help!

Post by Noel »

The original mark3 bumper that would have been on the car had two brackets that fitted just above where the chassis rails meet the rear valence, or if you like - just below the middle of each light cluster. Guessing the chassis rail holes may have been plated over too on a de-bumpered car, but if you delve around inside the boot below the middle of each light cluster you should find two holes per side. These are where the studs on the bracket will have come through the rear panel to be fastened on with a couple of nuts. Maybe you could drill these out again from the inside?
Kingy88

Post by Kingy88 »

Thanks mate had a look in the boot can see were the old holes have been filled. I've had a look about at some brackets and the only ones I can find look like guttering brackets that's the only thing I can think of that loos the same lol. I'm assuming these are the ones in need and the bolts that go through he no 2 bumper go in to the holes in the bracket only thing the studs look very small in the pictures Shane I can't save the images to load up.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The brackets do look like a bit of flat bar that have been badly bent at one end :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Have a look at this PDF parts catalogue from Motomobil:
http://www.motomobil.com/fileadmin/Kata ... glisch.pdf

Page 25 shows the three types of Capri rear bumper (Mk1/2/3) and gives you a general idea of what the brackets look like.
Kingy88

Post by Kingy88 »

Thanks guys I've found the holes at the rear that have been welded up so I'm going to have to drill those through. And found some brackets on ebay hoping it should be on by the end of month I hope