Not sure about this relay

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Not sure about this relay

Post by Jasonmarie »

So today I thought I would give the relays in the engine bay a clean ready for my new bits coming but as normal i need to know what they do .
Looking at Nicks and everybody's engine bay on here I can only find that the Brooklands 280 have the same relay so what does this do ? Have also checked the manual and I can not find what it does .

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Not sure about this relay

Post by Peter-S »

I would gues it's the front fogs/driving lamps. Disconnect it see if they still work!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers for that peter but I don't Think it's that as the driving lamps were fitted only this year , the only thing I know my laser shares with the 280 is that Dim Dipped as I think the lead is going over in that area . I wonder if anybody on here has a D reg or 1986/87 with this relay ? Also I know my Vin plate is a December build date for 1986 so I wonder if they were building cars with anything or bits they could find ? As I have rubber grommets in the side where the 2.8 engine water bottle would go and a lip where the battery tray would have been . As I never had this on my last laser what was a October build in 1986 .
It's like a cold November day out there so will have a play sometime this week when it warms up .
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

It's the dim dip relay.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

i thought it was just the thing under the rad what did all the work , not another relay with what looks like 6 wires going in and out .
God knows how it works .
Cheers for that .
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Jasonmarie wrote:i thought it was just the thing under the rad what did all the work , not another relay with what looks like 6 wires going in and out .
God knows how it works .
Cheers for that .
To explain it in simple terms as I'm no electrician, when the sidelights are switched on with the engine running or ignition key in position 2 the sidelight current runs through this relay and at the same time switches on (a relay is an electronic switch)the dipped headlight circuit but instead of going down the normal circuit it is routed through the device on the radiator plate. This "device" is a large resistor which cuts the amount of current reaching the headlights so turning them on dimly and not as bright as standard. The resistor is placed at the front under that metal plate as it gets hot and is cooled by air coming in through the grille. Turning on the headlights properly by passes this circuit.

it was an idea that was fitted to cars in the late 80's to overcome people driving in poor weather conditions just with the side lights on. Back then there were still a lot of 70's cars about with dynamos instead of alternators and some people drove without proper lights to prevent their batteries going flat.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thanks for that Paul as I just leave stuff like that alone before I know what it is I am having a radiator panel made with the Dim Dipped in the same position by Mirage for me , looks like with all that wiring I did the right thing and left alone .
I check the Haynes manual and another one I had and no mention of the Dim Dipped .
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Jasonmarie wrote:Thanks for that Paul as I just leave stuff like that alone before I know what it is I am having a radiator panel made with the Dim Dipped in the same position by Mirage for me , looks like with all that wiring I did the right thing and left alone .
I check the Haynes manual and another one I had and no mention of the Dim Dipped .
Only the last few Capris had dim dip systems. You're right to leave it alone - if it ain't broke don't fix it!