Atlas Axle for dummies

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Atlas Axle for dummies

Post by Vermilion »

Hello!

Whats the main difference with standard Atlas axle and semi-floating atlas axle?
Is there easy way to transform std atlas axle to semi-floating?
I could image 16 spline to 18spline semi-floating is tiny bit stronger.

How about burton or ebay kits? Are they trash or?

Is there new good rear axle ratios still made? (3.22 or 3.09)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Atlas Axle for dummies

Post by Paul G »

Vermilion wrote:Hello!

Whats the main difference with standard Atlas axle and semi-floating atlas axle?
Is there easy way to transform std atlas axle to semi-floating?
I could image 16 spline to 18spline semi-floating is tiny bit stronger.

How about burton or ebay kits? Are they trash or?

Is there new good rear axle ratios still made? (3.22 or 3.09)
The standard Capri axle is a semi floating axle. This means that the axle is retained in the housing by the bearing and its lockring, helped by the bolted on backing plate. The half shaft (axle shaft) takes both the weight of the vehicle and the torsional forces of the shaft when it is turning the wheel to drive the car. Light, simple, strong and cheap for a car manufacturer.

Fully floating axles are generally fitted to large 4 wheel drives, trucks etc. They are stronger as they have an extra bearing in the hub and the weight of the vehicle is supported by the hub and axle tube, not the half shaft. Usually the shaft can be withdrawn leaving all the hub etc in place.

With floating axles they tend to be much heavier in construction and i would ask myself before fitting the Burton / Quaife kit do I really need it? Yes it's probably more substantial in itself, but is the rest of the axle and the diff up to what I want too? It would probably be better for fitting massive wheels and may be better for some track use but people forget the limitations of a standard axle when massively altering a car from standard.

It also seems bloody expensive to my eyes.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Excellent information yet again Paul.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

I will try to stay with atlas axle Next summer goal is 500bhb and 700nm, thats a Big what If 16 spline shafts will break. (They are custom made shafts and should be about as strong it is possible to have 16 spline shafts. There is littile too much clearance between splines even now, not sure how much is good clearance and how much is too much. Running Quife ATB with 3.09 ratio.

IF it is isn't worth is I will go for 9-inch rear axle with 35 spline hollow shafts. alloy pig head, that should last forever with that power level.
9" rear axle is around 3000-4000€ with all stuff, if I change 16 spline to 1 spline that costs about 1200-1400€.

Also i haven't seen new 3.22 or 3.09 axle ratios for sale... if I change to 18-spline then maybe new ratio for zero sound from rear axle?
Other ratios are useless crap ratios. 4.1 can be bought as new but thats ludicrous with that ratio I can propably burn tires with 5th gear...
(and break gearbox too)

Burton is selling 18-spline kit
http://www.burtonpower.com/quaife-atlas ... 770-m.html
I asked if that kit fits my 50" 3.0 1973 Capri atlas axle, they never aswered.