headlights backing plates

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

headlights backing plates

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

I could not resist buying these "NOS" headlight backing plates as whilst John was converting my quad lights a while back I noticed the adjusters were completely seized up on mine and I do mean really seized !! I was going to get some secondhand backing plates from Martin but just before asking him if he has any I seen these brand new ones pop up for grabs so I could not resist them. As said brand new and all adjusters working perfect

Image20170824_192956 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

the brown stuff is packing tape and not rust :)
Image20170824_193017 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

I was just wondering if I should treat or paint them before fitting them. I am presuming they should be protected in some form ??

Any advice appreciated

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: headlights backing plates

Post by Peter-S »

What a dilemma for you Nick have them original OR paint them :lol:
They'll certainly go rusty over time if you don't paint them so I would certainly protect them in some way. Colour is up to you but you could always go for a top coat a similar colour to the current metal finish but I would prime and top coat anyway.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: headlights backing plates

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Peter-S wrote:What a dilemma for you Nick have them original OR paint them :lol:
Now you put it like that Peter suppose its a good dilemma to have for a change :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your advice mate. I know it was a simple question but as my previous ones had already been painted over in Black I was presuming painting them was the way to go. Yep will give them a prime then and I do believe I actually have some silver paint in the garage too. Might paint them Silver just like you said ! The adjusters on my old ones are really seized solid but once I remove the backing plates I will see what I can do with them but the chance to fit new ones was just too tempting for me to ignore ! Someone here might want the ones I remove if they are not too bad. Always great to pass on bits to help others :)

Thanks for your reply again Peter.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...