Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Re: Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Post by caprikid61 »

pbar wrote:That looks remarkable, you should be really pleased with that. You have got a decent shine there, I'd like to ask what your process was after the final top coat.

Hi , I did have a problem with orange peel affect in some bits of the car but most of the the top coat was ok but maybe a bit dull . What I did was let her sit for about a week give the paint enough time to harden , I went out and bought an eletric orbital buffer with all the pads and a big bottle of rubbing compound.

I started with trying a section on the tailgate just in case I ended up making a mess of the paint job I only done a small bit to start with . I rubbed gently with 2500 wet paper until I started to see the high bits get smother but I started to notice there were tiny bits of paint sticking to the paper that was leaving deep scratch marks !! So I had to add plenty of water and rub even more gently. I started to notice the difference when the water dried it looked shocking I thought I had made a right mess of but once I put the rubbing compound on and gave it a rubbing with a medium disk and lots of compound the top coat started to have a great shine so I just started going over the whole car doing the same.

The job took a whole day to do so the next day I started to polish with auto glym high resin polish and a soft polishing disk on the buffer , even I was surprised how nice it came up !! So thats about it thats all it takes.

Must say though I was pretty apprehensive about using rattle cans because I had done the front bonnet last year and some of the panels with rattle cans but within a few months the painted bits were all cracked it looked shocking !! So I had to do a lot of rubbing this time to get rid of the cracks but I made sure I primed the whole car this time so fingers crossed ot wont crack again!! Dont think it will this time because I put plenty of light coats of paint on where as last year I put 2 thickish coats on so I think that might have been the problem.

But you learn by your mistakes eh ?? Cheers Alex
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Re: Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Post by caprikid61 »

EightyFive wrote:
pbar wrote:
EightyFive wrote:I'm also not a fan of the colour coded grill grill.
That was standard on the Laser, as well as the bonnet lip. So he's done it right.
I'm not saying it wasn't, I just think a black grill and headlights would benefit a spray can paint job more is all. I assumed he wasn't overly obsessed about it looking stock due to the wheels.
The front grill front lip and headlights were black when I got it back from down South and I was I two minds if I should go for black again , but on balance I decided to go for red . I do see what you are saying though I do like the black it does break it up a bit so might go back to black when I do my touch up next year . Cheers Alex
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

caprikid61 wrote:
But you learn by your mistakes eh ?? Cheers Alex
Yes definitely! :) Thanks for the info Alex, always handy to know. Bodywork is such a tricky thing, I'm always interested to find out which techniques are used and to learn more.