Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Post by caprikid61 »

Thats her done for another year , quite happy with the finish though better than it was anyway .
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Re: Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Post by caprikid61 »

caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Re: Respray done !! What do you all think ? Its not perfect but ok for rattle cans.

Post by caprikid61 »

fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Looks great for rattle cans :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I agree, the finish looks really good. Well done.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep as has already been said that looks great mate. Nice one :applaud: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Looks superb, really like those wheels too.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Looks great, should have used rattle cans on mine the balls up I made mixing the paint!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Remarkably good for spray cans, well done!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Thanks guys it was a bit of a struggle getting the paint flattend out with rubbing compound had a fair bit of orange peel affect but got rid of most of it. Wasnt sure about putting the decals on but glad I did because they look ok .

I got through 6 cans of primer and 14 cans of paint with 4 coats so hoping it lasts a while . The rust will come back through but at least it should be easy enough to rub down use filler next year as I have some paint left so wont have problems with matching the paint . Cheers Alex
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Paul G wrote:Looks great, should have used rattle cans on mine the balls up I made mixing the paint!
I though about hiring a compressor and a spray gun but I dont know nothing about mixing paint and I just couldnt trust myself with a spray gun , thats how I decided on cans . Rattle cans these days are much easier to use then they were years ago you get a good fan spray with the fancy nozzels they use . To be honest the spraying was a lot easier than all the prep work !! Thats what takes most of the time. Cheers Alex
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Post by EightyFive »

Easily one of the best rattle can paint jobs I have seen, would like to see more close-ups of the reflection though.

Only criticisms I have is that under the windscreen rubber there appears to be a line where you have missed, also on the inner arch. I'm also not a fan of the colour coded grill grill & hedlight surrounds, I would go with black to break up the colour a bit more and have it stand out, but that is just personal preference! Great job.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

caprikid61 wrote:Thanks guys it was a bit of a struggle getting the paint flattend out with rubbing compound had a fair bit of orange peel affect but got rid of most of it. Wasnt sure about putting the decals on but glad I did because they look ok .

I got through 6 cans of primer and 14 cans of paint with 4 coats so hoping it lasts a while . The rust will come back through but at least it should be easy enough to rub down use filler next year as I have some paint left so wont have problems with matching the paint . Cheers Alex

Can I also just suggest that with all the money you have saved with your diy paint job, focus on getting that rust cut out and patched properly. If you do that then next year will be the last time (for a long long time) you need to slap filler over it!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

EightyFive wrote:Easily one of the best rattle can paint jobs I have seen, would like to see more close-ups of the reflection though.

Only criticisms I have is that under the windscreen rubber there appears to be a line where you have missed, also on the inner arch. I'm also not a fan of the colour coded grill grill & hedlight surrounds, I would go with black to break up the colour a bit more and have it stand out, but that is just personal preference! Great job.
Yep that was well spotted I put the masking tape just a touch to far down on the rubber also the wheel archies were very hard to get to because the small garage I was using it was not easy to get down the side of the car . I did get a touch up tin of paint for the missed bits it should be easy enough to apply with a little brush so that will sort these bits out , also missed a little bit round the sunroof seal . Cheers Alex
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

EightyFive wrote:
caprikid61 wrote:Thanks guys it was a bit of a struggle getting the paint flattend out with rubbing compound had a fair bit of orange peel affect but got rid of most of it. Wasnt sure about putting the decals on but glad I did because they look ok .

Can I also just suggest that with all the money you have saved with your diy paint job, focus on getting that rust cut out and patched properly. If you do that then next year will be the last time (for a long long time) you need to slap filler over it!
You are right when you say I should get the rust cut out I think I am going to have to learn how to weld first though :oops: . I did take the capri around a few car bodywork/spraying garages but the cheapest quote I got was £3500 so I decided to the diy route , I did manage to grind away a lot of rotten/rusty metal so just have to wait and see how bad it is next year.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

EightyFive wrote:I'm also not a fan of the colour coded grill grill.
That was standard on the Laser, as well as the bonnet lip. So he's done it right.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That looks remarkable, you should be really pleased with that. You have got a decent shine there, I'd like to ask what your process was after the final top coat.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Looks a cracking job in the photo's.... I hope it stands up to the test of time. Saved yourself a small fortune there so you should be proud of yourself :applaud:
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

pbar wrote:
EightyFive wrote:I'm also not a fan of the colour coded grill grill.
That was standard on the Laser, as well as the bonnet lip. So he's done it right.
I'm not saying it wasn't, I just think a black grill and headlights would benefit a spray can paint job more is all. I assumed he wasn't overly obsessed about it looking stock due to the wheels.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fair enough :)