Capri 2.8 spitting coolant

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Capri 2.8 spitting coolant

Post by pbar »

sheff wrote:Get yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viscous-Fan-S ... Swll1Wvd7C

It works perfectly for undoing the viscous fan on the 2.8 engine.
Is that also for the Pinto engine do you know please Neil?
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

pbar wrote:
sheff wrote:Get yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viscous-Fan-S ... Swll1Wvd7C

It works perfectly for undoing the viscous fan on the 2.8 engine.
Is that also for the Pinto engine do you know please Neil?
I'm not sure Paul.... Does the Pinto viscous have a 32mm nut? If so I'm guessing it would work?
The design on the 2.8 engine only allows very restricted access to this nut and this spanner fits perfectly.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Not certain of the size Neil, I shall have to find out. It's not a job I have coming up (that I know of!), just like to get prepared, you never know :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

sheff wrote:
pbar wrote:Very informative Paul. Your posts are often as good as the Haynes, if not better :)
I'd say better.... Haynes based there manuals on stripping a brand new car. The reality is the cars are now 30 years old and don't come apart or go back together the same as they did. Tapping bolt heads with a hammer, refitting with Copper slip soak with plenty of WD40 days before etc are not words I recollect reading in any Haynes manual!

Keep up the good posts Paul.... They always make good reading :applaud:
Thanks for that guys, It's nice to know that my experience can help others.
Knapp37
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri Mk3 2.8i Special

Post by Knapp37 »

Thanks so much for the help guys!

Chances are that I'm not going to get round to it till next month as I'll be going on holiday in a couple of weeks and I don't think the Mrs will appreciate me spending the holiday money on car parts haha

Definitely agree though that the water pump needs to be changed. I've got new hoses on that I fitted last year and I don't even think I've done over 500 miles with them fitted. But it can't hurt checking to make sure they are all working how they should.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Right I've accidentally ordered the wrong thermostat. I've ordered an 88degrees one instead of an 82 degree one. So I was just wondering if anybody can make use of it you can have it for free. Can't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back so just going to buy a new one.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Hi everyone

Appolagies for going quite had quite a lot going on and just starting to get round to fixing the issue.

I’ve got one question that I’m dreading to ask as I think I know the answer to it.

I’ve just loosed the bracket to the fan belt to get it off.

I took the belt and bracket off and was left with this.

I’ve taken some photos which I’ll post below.

Should there be a bolt connecting the top of this bracket? As you can see in the photo it looks like it could of snapped off years ago and no one would have noticed. Or should it be like that

Cheers in advance as always :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Mine does have a bolt that goes into that bracket. Looking at your photo, you can see where the head of the bolt appears to have snapped off.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Thanks Andrew

I was afraid you were going to say that!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Knapp37 wrote:Thanks Andrew

I was afraid you were going to say that!
The remains of the bolt looks like it might be a pig to remove as it looks to be well rusted. At least you've got enough left sticking out to get a good grip on. Just try soaking the ofending item in WD40, or similar, for a day or two and then clamp on some molegrips to try and remove it.

Andrew.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Sorry I’ve not got round to this sooner but just in the process of setting up my own business and just got engaged so I’m finding it a bit hard to find the free time at the moment. But just got the water pump replaced, and new thermostat and housings fitted today :) finely

Hopefully get round to putting everything back together in the next couple weeks once I’ve painted a couple bits and get her started and see if we’ve fixed everything (fingers crossed and touch wood)

Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

P.s thank you all so much for the advice, I wouldn’t of been able to do it without you guys!