Capri 3.0 ghia value

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Admin
Site Admin

Capri 3.0 ghia value

Post by Admin »

Question from new member ROB T:

hi there,
need some advice if you have time..my girlfriend has just inherited a 1980 capri 3.0 Ghia..its been sitting in a lockup garage for about 20 years (so is dusty and in need of a serious valet/M.OT) the car is in good condition and low mileage. Obviously it would need an overhaul brakes/service etc. ..il get to the point, what is it worth? is it worth spending some money on it to sell it on or would someone take it as is?
oh and apart from the original tires and alloys there appear to be another
8 alloys with tires as well..
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Capri 3.0 ghia value

Post by D366Y »

Think most people will agree its hard to value something without seeing pictures,having loads of spares is always going to have extra value, though I'd probably avoid spending money on doing things to the car so whomever eventually purchases the car can do what they like with the car and don't feel put off by having to undo your work on the car.

Stick some pictures up if you can and I'm sure you'll get some interest! I know I'm interested if I had the space to have it :lol:

cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

:agree: with Danny.

To try to value it without seeing it and having more info is like asking how long is a bit of string. Having it nice and clean for advertisement photos would probably be more of a help on balance, as would getting it running, but then some folk like them with dust and dirt on. At least get some decent photos of it in as is condition.

An MOT would help sell it but not if it's going to cost you a fortune to get it through. A fail sheet might be useful as people can then see what it is likely to need. Remember what costs a fortune in a garage could just be a few quid in parts for someone who knows how to fix it.

Whatever, it is a desirable model and if it is a genuine low mileage and you can find the service books, old mot's or any other paperwork to do with it it should sell for quite a few quid.

As for the tyres they are worthless as 20 year old tyres should not be on the road.

Like Danny said, post up some pictures and a few more details like mileage, does it run etc so people on this forum could better advise you and you may even be able to sell it painlessly to someone on here.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

I'm perhaps not the best person to comment on this, seeing as I hate the way capri prices have gone silly these days. I sold the last capri I had for way under what I could have got for it, but it wasn't worth that....in my opinion.

What the above boils down to, is if you have the time to wait, hold your nerve when low offers come in and find the right buyer, you'll get at least £3k for it. And I know I haven't seen it, but that's the way the market is right now. The better it looks, and the less work it needs, what you'll get will go up and up.

I doubt I'll ever own a Capri again. Because the cars aren't WORTH what I'd have to pay for one. And what do I get for my £3k? A car that will take alot of money and effort to turn in to the reliable vehicle it now needs to be and when it is, I won't want to drive it much cos it will need more work if I use it.

Like Glyn says..it's only an old Ford ffs.

Sorry. Rant over
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

A 3.0 mk3 Capri in a lockup garage should be a good inheritance. If she is thinking of selling on without doing much work then it would most certainly be worth getting the engine running. A barn find that is a runner has to be way more attractive than one that is an unknown.
rich123
Car(s): triumph stag

Post by rich123 »

would be intrested
richard