thinking about dash top

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

thinking about dash top

Post by Not_Anumber »

Ive been trying to ignore it but with the rest of the car looking quite good im noticing the state of the dashboard top is letting things down a bit. Are they practical to DIY repair ?
Mine has the usual merging of some of the holes in the speaker grille which is a pity as it's not otherwise damaged or discoloured. Everything on Ebay at present is about £ 100 for ones that are worse than mine so I'm starting to think it's either buy one of those stick on leather covers or throw lots of money at CCI for their reproduction one.

Anyone know what other options there might be please ?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: thinking about dash top

Post by Paul G »

Not_Anumber wrote:Ive been trying to ignore it but with the rest of the car looking quite good im noticing the state of the dashboard top is letting things down a bit. Are they practical to DIY repair ?
Mine has the usual merging of some of the holes in the speaker grille which is a pity as it's not otherwise damaged or discoloured. Everything on Ebay at present is about £ 100 for ones that are worse than mine so I'm starting to think it's either buy one of those stick on leather covers or throw lots of money at CCI for their reproduction one.

Anyone know what other options there might be please ?
I'm shortly going to have a go at repairing my Laser one. It seems they have gone in the same place - right through the speaker holes but mine's also cracked right up to the front of the dash.

I've bought some dash and vinyl filler off ebay and was going to v - out the crack and fill it, re-drill the speaker holes that get filled over then give the dash a good few coats of Nick's favorite Halfords Vinyl paint.

If it's a success I'll post a "how to" on the forum and if not I'll get a CCi dash and fit it like the thread on here.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

That sounds a good idea. Have you got a link to the filler you are using for the dash please ?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

There have been repair threads on these with pics previously, might have been on Capri Power actually. But from what I remember they were very successful, looked great when done.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Not_Anumber wrote:That sounds a good idea. Have you got a link to the filler you are using for the dash please ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOVOL-BUMPER- ... 2749.l2649

Haven't tried it yet so no idea what it's like. could be good or could be crap.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks Paul, Ive ordered and will give it a try.