Starting issues

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Kingy88
Car(s): Ford capri Mk 3 2.0 laser

Starting issues

Post by Kingy88 »

Hi all 1st and foremost I'm a new member and just purchased my dream car a mk 3 capri. It's a 2.0 with a fr32 cam and dellorto twin 40s. The car drives great not an issues when runing but does not idle well at all and starting is a nightmare i understand its a art to start one it does not have choke connected. I have to pumo the pedal at least 10 times and even then when I turn the key it does not always start and when it does I will have to repeat this 2 or 3 times as it fires up but struggles to get going without keeping the pedal down to get it warmed up. The engine was rebuilt less than 800 miles ago and the carbs were tuned apparently it also has new dizzy coil leads battery and plugs. I'm looking at fitting a facet auto fuel pump hoping this helps but at the moment I'm at a loss any help before I take it to have he carbs looked at.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Starting issues

Post by 340truck »

Not sure about twin 40 dellortos but pinto engines on std carbs will usually start ok from cold with choke flaps removed, optimum settings for the engine involve a richer mix than modern cars. The deduction for your problem would therefore be that, even though you say they've been "tuned", your carbs are jetted a bit lean and/or the idle mixture is set lean.

For optimum performance all round from pintos with modifications such as yours, everything needs to be set up on a rolling road. There are a few people (Glyn?) who can set one up without but they are becoming rare!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Um , why not connect the choke ?, and technique is important . Also check valve clearances as if they ( particularly the intakes ) are tight it will ruin your idle . Go with the spec,s provided by the cam manufacturer , not the standard Capri settings .
It should be no harder to start than a stock motor . A FR32 cam is fast road ( 2500 - 7000 rpm ) so it will be a bit lumpy at idle when running spot on . If you can do the valves and get the choke sorted ( there are kits available to install a manual choke knob on your Capri ) you will save a bit of dough when you take it somewhere to get the carb jetting and balance sorted and you will need to modify the advance curve in the dizzy to match those carbs and cam ( generally run more advance at lower rpm . You need to find a place that can do all the work in one hit , and as 340truck sez that is rolling road country. This sort of tuning is usually the final step after you've thrown all the bits together and if done properly now everything about the motor will be better, money well spent :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Kingy88
Car(s): Ford capri Mk 3 2.0 laser

Post by Kingy88 »

Sorry about the late response I've not been getting up dates . I've spoken to rally equip in Bury and they've explained what's you've just said incorrect setup or jets venturi etc and recommend a choke fitting definitely makes me think it's that now after 2 people have said the same. Thanks got it booked in the Saturday fingers crossed I'll be back on the road
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

I would also check the inlet manifold, make sure its not drawing to much air if the gasket is letting in best to spray some wd 40 around the gasket to see if the revs rise . I had that problem with mine I changed a lot before I noticed what the problem was , exactly the same problem the tickover was all over the place once I got her to start and getting her to start was also a problem . Prob not that but worh checking .