Lights and Washer Motor

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Lights and Washer Motor

Post by D366Y »

Hi all!

Was trying to get the GL ready for the MOT last night and there are a few things I can't place or solve so hoping someone wiser than myself can help??

First thing is that my indicator lights all work when pressing the Hazard's button/switch (whatever you want to call it) but when I use the stalk the indicators don't work and nothing even clicks on? I know the stalks can be a pain but since I've not used the car since May 2016 when the indicators must have worked I'd be surprised if it has cracked...

Also my front washer motor refuses to do anything, it is the original part from '81 (judging by the sheer amount of orange on it) and I can't get that to work either!

My rear brake lights are also an issue, they work when the lights are on, but when I push the brake pedal down it doesn't register and doesn't get any brighter...

Before checking any of this I cleaned up all the fuses in the box and the connections with some sandpaper, as well as the headlight relay on the bulkhead again. I didn't have my trusty Haynes to hand yesterday so didn't have the wiring diagrams but not sure where else to check??

Any help/tips would be great!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Lights and Washer Motor

Post by Paul G »

They all sound like usual issues for a car that hasn't been used for a while. The indicator problem, if they all worked OK last year, could be an issue with the hazard light switch; working it on and off a few times and making sure it's off may work.

The washers could be got working by removing the pump and checking the little impeller spins with a small screwdriver - or get someone to press the washer button whist you give the pump a tap with a small hammer.

Brake lights sound like the pedal switch is stuck, unless there is a problem with earths or wiring in the rear light units. Also a bulb issue could be responsible.

If you need any help Danny give me a shout and I'll pop over.

Paul.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

Danny, just one thing to add, on my car (78) to get the washer pump to work you need to have the wipers on
Nigel 1953
Car(s): 1987 Capri Laser 2.0

Post by Nigel 1953 »

I agree with Paul on these problems.

The first thing I would check with the lights after the bulbs would be for a bad earth connection. I had problems with the lights on my Laser last year and it turned out to be a badly corroded earth on the offside headlamp bucket. This caused some very strange effects especially with the engine running.

I'm not sure if you are aware that the brake light is on a separate bulb on the MK3. So the tail light will not get brighter when the brake pedal is pressed but you should 2 lights showing at each side.

Hope this helps.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Hey guys, cheers for the replies,
Paul G wrote:The washers could be got working by removing the pump and checking the little impeller spins with a small screwdriver - or get someone to press the washer button whist you give the pump a tap with a small hammer.Brake lights sound like the pedal switch is stuck, unless there is a problem with earths or wiring in the rear light units. Also a bulb issue could be responsible.
I will check this when back and let you know how I get on Paul, always handy to have you close by :lol:
Arnoldhar wrote:on my car (78) to get the washer pump to work you need to have the wipers on
This is also something I wasn't aware of, will have to try this, thanks!
Nigel 1953 wrote:The first thing I would check with the lights after the bulbs would be for a bad earth connection. I had problems with the lights on my Laser last year and it turned out to be a badly corroded earth on the offside headlamp bucket
Will make sure I check this as well, I always forget about the bucket earths!

Keep them coming, the more I can check the better :lol:

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If pushed you could borrow the rear washer pump to use on the front for the MOT
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Try giving the fuses a clean and the fuseboard on the drivers side of the engine bay with some wire wool (disconnect battery first!)
I've found a dislodged or dodgy connection there plays all sorts of havoc with what happens with what happens elsewhere.
Oddly the way the components are interlocked electrically means even if a fuse is blown things still work as they find paths via other feeds or ground reference points.

Also try the cleaning up as many earth connections as you can find. If that still doesn't work then try removing as many scotch locks as you can find. My experience says that many cars are riddled with the bloody things which ultimately damage wires and cause breaks rather than joints as they have a cutting action on the wire when they are fitted.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Yep....earths and botchlocks will be at the root of all capri electrics. It's all to do with paths of least resistance, you often find lights are running backwards, positive earth when there are problems. The symptoms can be bizarre as soon as one important earth goes. Check out the readings you can get with a multimeter on earth path resistance. Sometimes the resistance is less via the positive side of the battery than via normal earth points.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Nice, thanks for the responses guys, will have a look next time I am with the car :)

Don't think it will be any stupid links, it's had a pretty easy life and all the components basically look original as it hasn't been on the road since the mid-late nineties and the wiring makes much more sense on this compared to the laser which has clearly been fiddled a lot with in the past!! :lol: