viewing mk3 ghia

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rich123
Car(s): triumph stag

viewing mk3 ghia

Post by rich123 »

hi just some advice plz guys going to see a mk3 ghia w reg next week my cousins mate hes saying its all good what shall I look for in particular I have read the buying guide just thought you guys with all the knowledge can add something would be good
thanks in advance
richard
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: viewing mk3 ghia

Post by Paul G »

Rust is the biggest issue with Capris, check inner wings both from under the bonnet and under the wings. The bowls behind the headlights also rust out. Check the area behind the front wheels where the bulkhead meets the floor, both sides and the bottom of the A post, sills inner and outer (along the floor to sill join) and the areas where the rear springs attach, both front and rear. Give the underneath and the chassis rails as good an inspection as you can.

Open the boot and check the underside of it and around the glass, take out the boot board and spare wheel and inspect all around the boot, especially all around the edges and rear and the spare wheel well.

Outside use your common sense when looking at the bodywork but remember some panels are difficult to get and or very expensive - genuine ford wings and front valance in particular. Also check the front edge of the bonnet, inside and out and the scuttle around the windscreen. Make sure the roof is sound around the sunroof.

Mechanically things are easier to get, just look out for horrible noises or rattles. A puff of blue smoke when starting is easily fixed with new valve stem seals which cost about a tenner.

Interior trim can also be expensive and difficult to get, even a winder for the sunroof can be £50!
rich123

Post by rich123 »

man that's a lot to look at. anyone near north London with some spare time can come with me its a
long shot but never know
rich123

Post by rich123 »

cheers paul g have written everything down will let you know how it goes
richard
rich123

Post by rich123 »

he said there is a little rust in the sunroof area is this very bad
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

rich123 wrote:he said there is a little rust in the sunroof area is this very bad
If it's cruddy on the actual sunroof then that can be replaced, but if it's on the actual roof you could end up needing the roof reskinned in a few years. I've got to change the roof skin on my 3.0S and I'm not putting another sunroof one back in.

I'm a bit busy this week or I'd have offered to look over the car for you. Where in North London is it?
rich123

Post by rich123 »

its in enfield I went to see it car looks good body wise quit solid no filler but wants too much I gave my offer anyway he said he will think about it if he accepts then maybe we can arrange another viewing
also engine seems good oil pressure etc ther was a lot f white bubbles in the rad but he said its been parked for many years not used
nothing in the oil
richard