Thoughts please on this ? Radiator relief

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Thoughts please on this ? Radiator relief

Post by Jasonmarie »

So as normal Iam reading classic ford and come across this article and thought that it looks really good but there are no reviews as it's New so I wonder what you guys thoughts .

Radiator relief ?
Last edited by Jasonmarie on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Thoughts please on this ?

Post by Paul G »

It looks good if you're doing several vehicles but for a Capri I just manage with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and sometimes a pin punch if the pad pins won't come out.

Getting seized pads out is one of the bigger problems on twin piston calipers like the Capri, especially if the caliper is seized too. For the sake of a tenner for some new pads it's as easy to bash them out with a chisel or old screwdriver and then clean up the pad lands with a file or some emery paper. Always put copperslip on the edges of the pad backing plate and this stops them seizing in.

With the rears I just use pliers to remove the shoe hold down clips then using the pliers I lever one end of the bottom of a shoe out of the mounting post and then the shoes can normally be dismantled, removed and reassembled without any tools.

A useful tool for people that haven't been doing brakes for the last 40 years like me is the one to help remove the shoe hold down springs - it does make it a lot easier if you aren't that experienced at doing them. It certainly helped my students when I was teaching car mechanics although it didn't stop the little fu**ers loosing all the springs!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Re: Thoughts please on this ?

Post by Jasonmarie »

I am so sorry I was talking about the rad coolent to keep the engine cool .
But great piece of advice

My fault I should have cut the picture down more but I did a screen shot on the iPad .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Thoughts please on this ? Radiator relief

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I've never used this product, but it might be worth giving it a try.
It's a lot cheaper than waterless coolant and claims to have some of the benefits of it.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have always looked at the water less stuff and thought it must help the engine but this looks like a quick cheap fix , my car is ok it traffic but I know the faster you can remove heat the better the car will run .

There are videos and reviews I have found some say it's great and some saying it did not work .

I was just wondering if anybody has tried and there review .
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I chuckled at the line "it is totally compatible with water" .

It would be useful good to hear some reviews from people who had used it. I'd probably buy it.