2.8 torque type cylinder head bolts tightening advice

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

2.8 torque type cylinder head bolts tightening advice

Post by brooky »

Ok all, advice needed as various threads and haynes are not conclusive.

refitting heads next week on my 2.8 and I have the torque head type bolts which I believe are stretch bolts -thoughts on this please.

Also haynes and some forum threads say 2.8 bolts are torqued, checked after 15 minutes running then checked again after 500 miles. For the type that need checking after 15 minutes running, I assume you let all cool down first before re torquing.

If my torque type heads are stretch bolts, hopefully someone will confirm, do they need this check and recheck 500 mile later.. even if they are stretch bolts, will a check and 500 mile recheck do any harm on this type of bolt or is it best to do this anyway

thanks

Mark
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: 2.8 torque type cylinder head bolts tightening advice

Post by sheff »

Burton call them stretch bolts Mark http://www.burtonpower.com/head-bolt-fo ... 1005a.html

Maybe worth asking them how they are torqued up. The CVH head bolts had to be turned an extra half turn after the max torque was achieved, if I remember correctly.
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Re: 2.8 torque type cylinder head bolts tightening advice

Post by brooky »

When I have fitted stretch bolts before I left them after tthe initial torquing down but i have read others that say they still retorque stretch bolts. I did read that the ooriginal bolts on capris did need re torquing after 15 min and 500 miles but dealers didn't always do it which lead to head problems and so ford moved to single shot stretch bolts so not sure why some and haynes say retorque. I will check with Burton and see what guys on here come back with