BOB Cosworth conversion help

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
thangtamfive
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

BOB Cosworth conversion help

Post by thangtamfive »

Good morning all!

I'm soon to be converting my 2.0 laser to the bob cosworth engine from the granada Scorpio, and I'm just after a few answers to the details!
I'd like to point out this car doesn't get driven daily and is a bit of fun so I can deal with being experimental!! :geek:

I currently have a 2.0 pinto with 4 speed type e box,
Completely Polybushed suspension all round
170lb -1" front springs, -1" lowering blocks rear.

Firstly, I can get hold of a 2.8I cross member and engine legs quite easily to mount the engine, can I use my existing arb, tca's and front suspension with the uprated springs? Will the -1" 170lb be be possible and bearable?

Would it be cheaper to get hold of a 2.8I fuel tank with pump, or run an external pump? Would it need to be regulated? Also, I've read somewhere that this would mean having to use a swirl pot, can anyone elaborate on this?

Once I have parts collected for a while, I am going to be mounting the mazda rx8 6 speed gearbox using a few things from p9cyoplates but that's another subject for the future!!
Until then, to get the car on the road can I use my type e?? I know I could use the type 9 V6 bellhousing to mount it, but is that main spline long enough? I hear the type e is stronger than the type 9 anyway.
We won't worry that the ratios will be completely wrong, that will be addressed in the future, it's literally to get it running until funds permit!

Can it be run without an air mass sensor?

Finally, are there any other issues I should consider?
I will be booking workshop time so need to be prepared to get in there and get it finished with minimal problems!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
The sooner I get the beast back on the road the better!

Thanks

Nguyen Tam
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: BOB Cosworth conversion help

Post by Paul G »

Dare I say this on this forum but you would probably be better posting your question on Capri Power as the are a lot more people on there that have done this conversion.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Have you checked the capri wiki thingy? Someone put a bunch of info on there

http://www.capriwiki.com/index.php?titl ... rd_BOA/BOB

I would have thought external pump would be cheaper. My understanding is the a swirl pot is needed to prevent fuel starvation on injection engines, (the 2.8 tank has one built in).
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Knez
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9i S -79
Ford Capri 2.0 S -80

Post by Knez »

I have a modified stock 2.0L Pinto tank with an intank pump and home made swirl pot in my Capri. Works great actually.
Cheap to do if you know how to weld :)