Where is she now?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Nigel 1953
Car(s): 1987 Capri Laser 2.0

Where is she now?

Post by Nigel 1953 »

Hi there fellow Capri fans.
I would be very interested to know if anyone knows the fate of a Capri I used to own. She was a Cabaret 11, 2.0 in Imperial Red over Strato Silver. Registration DJX330Y. I traded her in against a new Laser at Heanon Ford in Bingley, West Yorkshire in February 1987 (Should have kept her). The DVLA record shows untaxed since April 1994 and there is no MOT history. I fear she went to the big scrap yard in the sky long ago!

If anyone out there has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Where is she now?

Post by Paul G »

I would guess your hunch about it's whereabouts is correct but it could be stuck in someone's garage - I recently bought a 2.0S whick showed up as no MOT history and untaxed since 1997 so anything is possible.

Is the Laser you own now the one you bought new?
Nigel 1953

Post by Nigel 1953 »

Yes I I've been lucky (some might disagree) as I still own the Laser 2.0 that I bought in 1987. It is Rosso Red and I believe it was built in November 86, making it one of the last 4 cylinder models.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I think you can get the details of the vehicle's RKs from the DVLC if you fill in a form. That would at least give you the name/address of the last known RK.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote:I think you can get the details of the vehicle's RKs from the DVLC if you fill in a form.
Hi,
I think you can get details of previous owners if you are the current registered keeper. However, the way I understand it, an previous keeper cannot obtain details of the current owner.

Nigel 1953, good luck with your search for the car.

Andrew.
Nigel 1953

Post by Nigel 1953 »

Thanks for your advice guys. I agree that DVLA are unlikely to give a name & address to anyone but the current owner. Will have to wait and see if I get any further response. I may try a notice in CCI mag etc.

Regards
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
tejb1 wrote:I think you can get the details of the vehicle's RKs from the DVLC if you fill in a form.
Hi,
I think you can get details of previous owners if you are the current registered keeper. However, the way I understand it, an previous keeper cannot obtain details of the current owner.

Nigel 1953, good luck with your search for the car.

Andrew.
I looked up the relevent form (V888), and for £5 it would appear that they are able to give you the details of the vehicle including current and past rks - if you are a current *or* a former rk. They specifically mention former rks on the form. If you have no current or former link to the vehicle, not only is it more extensive, but there are more stringent requirements to explain why you want the information - eg abandoned vehicle, RTA etc. For your own current or former car you can apply out of, essentially, curiosity.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Nigel 1953 wrote:I agree that DVLA are unlikely to give a name & address to anyone but the current owner.
You could try the £5 form option as mentioned on this thread, not many people seem to know about that. Also, if you are friendly with any coppers you could ask them to look it up for you, that happens more often than you might think!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote:I looked up the relevent form (V888)
Hi,
I stand corrected! That makes it easy for people to trace the whereabouts of cars that they used to own.
It's good to know that the DVLA don't give out the keeper info to anyone though....

Andrew.
Nigel 1953

Post by Nigel 1953 »

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait a little to see if I get any more response to my original message posting. If I decide to make an enquiry with DVLA I'll let you know if get any useful info.
Nigel 1953

Post by Nigel 1953 »

Hi chaps

I have been amazed at the number of viewings of my posting. I am just wondering if anyone on hear has tried the suggestion of contacting DVLA themselves for the purpose of tracings a previously owned vehicle and what response was received.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny you ask yes I have filled in the v888 for my old Capri just to see if it's still about in a barn or being used to make washing machines ?
I sent the form of last week so I would guess I might here next week on D98-NKJ
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I thought I would update you all on the V888 form I did for my Capri now was great I got all the dates and every form that had been sent to the dvla what included the first registered form when she was new in 1987 . I have also spoken to a old owner who did a article in the Capri club magazine of which I have . I do have all the MOTs and Tax disks from when she was born also all the receipts and service books . And it's added a great addition to the folder I have on her .

But D98Nkj what was with me for 12 great years and wish I never said goodbye they would not give me the information as I said on the form I wished to buy the car if it was around so that was a big mistake I made . She not been taxed or mot from 2005 so that's 12 years ago , could be sitting in a barn waiting for me to find but I had done 130000 great miles in her and in all weather conditions and the day the new owner come I notice a small drip on the inside on the bulk head worried that I had not told the new owner I gave him £50 to get the heater pipe replaced I also kept ( o c d alert ) all the miles and petrol fill ups in a small book that fitted in the ash tray I had done in the 12 years of ownership . And also I had two new driver seats that I had in the loft that a family member got me from fords as I thought I would never use them . :banghead:

So yes for the £5 get the information is a great way and history for our little loves of our life's .
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Nigel 1953 wrote:Yes I I've been lucky (some might disagree) as I still own the Laser 2.0 that I bought in 1987. It is Rosso Red and I believe it was built in November 86, making it one of the last 4 cylinder models.
Hi do you have any photos of you Laser ? Would love to see them , its great that you have managed to keep her from new :cool: . Gonna have have a look at the docs for my laser just to see when it was built , you got me thinking now . Cheers Alex
Nigel 1953

Post by Nigel 1953 »

Thanks Jasonmarie. I'm not quite sure what info you got. Did you get everything but the name and addresses of the current registered keeper? I always thought that DVLA would be reluctant to give details of the current keeper.

Regards.
Nigel 1953

Post by Nigel 1953 »

caprikid61 wrote:
Nigel 1953 wrote:Yes I I've been lucky (some might disagree) as I still own the Laser 2.0 that I bought in 1987. It is Rosso Red and I believe it was built in November 86, making it one of the last 4 cylinder models.
Hi do you have any photos of you Laser ? Would love to see them , its great that you have managed to keep her from new :cool: . Gonna have have a look at the docs for my laser just to see when it was built , you got me thinking now . Cheers Alex
Yes I have lots but I haven't worked out how to post picks yet. I wild be away for a few days but will try to sort something when I return. I think I have seen advice on this somewhere on the forum.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did get everything as Iam the current keeper but my old Capri I did not get anything as I said on the form I may want to buy it back .. so might leave it sometime and try again on my old car . Nice thing to have on the history of your current Capri
tejb1
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Interesting that they are reticent on the basis of a previous rk possibly wanting to buy it back.

How about you 'find' some 'useful information' and would like to pass it on to the current owner? ;)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote:So I thought I would update you all on the V888 form I did for my Capri now was great.
Hi Jason.

Nice one fella. Thats really nice to have that bit of extra history :)

Mate did you get this V888 from the post office ? Reason i ask is on the dvla website they do online forms V888/2 and V888/3 but not V888 ? I might send one of for B112 to get a bit of history of where its been as I did not get much when i bought it. Its been through 9 previous owners so would be very interesting to find out more.

All the best mate

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I used this one from online never new there was another two ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -a-vehicle

I filled in part A as Iam the owner

It's only a £5 and really worth doing as it completes my history folder on the car .