Trying to get rid of rust again (photos attached)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Trying to get rid of rust again (photos attached)

Post by Arya2.0S »

You definitely have to prime this.

Not only will you prevent a possibly very serious reaction with the new paint i can almost guarantee you there will still be scratch marks where filler work and DA work has been done. It might feel smooth the touch now but trust me they are there! They are very tough to spot especially at this stage which is why you need to prime it then go over it with a guide coat and rub it all down again.

Use some black spray paint for the guide coat once you've primed the car (obviously waiting for the primer to cure) and just dust it on all over the place, then rub this down with the wet and dry sand paper i mentioned above, and i forgot to mention it then but you will also need a rubbing block.

With the sand paper and block you will rub down the high points of the guide coat whilst leaving all the low points and scratches intact so they will show up as black lines and circles in your primer, then you can do whatever you have to do to fix them.

For scratches, small pin holes and the like i just use a little dollop of stopper.
Its like a filler that comes in a tube like toothpaste, only unlike filler it doesn't require hardener and you can apply it with your fingers if you want but best to use it with a flat rubber applicator the same way you'd apply normal filler.
It'll fill in tiny imperfections perfectly.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Thanks Arya for all that info I get what you mean about the prep being more important than the spraying I have spent over a week rubbing down and Im not finished yet . I am taking all the panels with the cracks right back by removing all the old paint then using some good primer before starting with the coats.

As for the rest of of the car I was just going to sand flat with 800 grit so the paint will stick but I was also going to prime just in case !!.

Now the paint !! I have been looking at Hycote double acrylic rosso red (xdfd512) I though it might be a bit better than the halfords paint . I have decided not to use the same paint I had made up last time by autopaints they were using a very old tin of tint that had the lead so I am worried that could have caused part of the problem. What do you think will hycote double acrylic be ok ?? I know I am going on a bit here but I am determend to get it right this time . Cheers Alex
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I can't really offer much in regards to aerosol can, I've only ever painted cars with a compressor and spray gun, but I'd be inclined to assume that hycoat would be better than halfords own brand.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
You could try using a high volume low pressure paint gun, like the one mentioned on this thread. It produces a more professional finish than rattle cans, although the prep is the most important part of creating a decent finish.

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
You could try using a high volume low pressure paint gun, like the one mentioned on this thread. It produces a more professional finish than rattle cans, although the prep is the most important part of creating a decent finish.

Andrew.
:agree: This is a far better way than using aerosol cans especially when you are doing larger sections of paint. Plus you can buy 2k paint which is more hard wearing. All I'd say is try to do lots of thin coats as I ended up with a few runs on my first attempts :banghead:
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Guys I am almost finished with the prep work so I am just waiting on the HB Body 962 isolator primer arriving in the post tomorrow or Thursday .

Andrew thanks for the link to the post that Sheff had posted about the HVLP easy painter :cheers: I am going to look online tonight to see if I could get a hold of one those . After seeing the fantastic job Sheff did on his capri I am tempted to give one a go .

Sheff do you still use the easy painter ? also how do you know how much paint and whatever else you use :oops: to mix together ? Only ever used rattle cans so dont have a clue about mixing paint . Thanks again guys for your advice !! Between us all We might get my capri looking good again . Cheers Alex
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

I usually mix by eye, but you can buy mixing pits that have lines and numbers printed onto them which tells you how much of each and the mix ratio you need.
So fill it up so far with paint then add some more to a certain line with hardener or thinners etc.
It all depends on what type of paint you use and what type of lacquer etc etc.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

caprikid61 wrote: Sheff do you still use the easy painter ? also how do you know how much paint and whatever else you use :oops: to mix together ? Only ever used rattle cans so dont have a clue about mixing paint . Thanks again guys for your advice !! Between us all We might get my capri looking good again . Cheers Alex
I'm going to be using it again soon on some VW Golf doors I bought recently. Usually 2k paint is 50/50 paint/activator although I have seen some 4/1 mixes. Added to this you might need some thinners about 15%, however the paint I used wasn't that thick, so I found it was better without. I used special marked mixing cups but you could use 2 equal sized containers for a 50/50 mix.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Used my sprayer today on a new subframe for the Golf. The paint they put on stuff like this isn't very good and it would start rusting as soon as we start seeing some bad weather, so its had a few coats of this stuff http://www.rust.co.uk/em-121-epoxy-rust ... nt/c28117/ which is the dogs!!

Here's the results

Laid it on a bit thick to give it some extra protection, but the finish is very good for a piece of chassis component!

Very little overspray, notice how close I was to the Capri however I had started to spray it outside until it started to rain :banghead:
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

I used the same stuff Neil on a lot of my parts when I rebuilt the capri, it is nice stuff and 3 years later is still protecting everything
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

brooky wrote:I used the same stuff Neil on a lot of my parts when I rebuilt the capri, it is nice stuff and 3 years later is still protecting everything
Good to know its working well on your car Mark :D

I've used it on my Capri to, only brushed it on before but thought I'd try spraying it today. This paint is really thick, so I had to thin it down more than they recommend to get a good finish. They also do a good primer which I sprayed the lower part of my Capri with, same thing though it needs a fair amount of thinners to get a smooth finish or else it looks like pebble dash :lol:
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Sheff gotta say you did a great job there that gun does seem to make a good job . I was going to get one to give it a try but decided against it becuse I dont have a clue about mixing paint !! I was worried that I made a mess of it again .

Managed to get a bit done today will post up some photos soon once I remember how to do it :cheers:
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Thats 2 coats of 962 primer on then I rubbed down with 800 grit before Applying some coats of red highfill primer . I have left it overnight to harden/dry before I return tomorrow to start with the top coats so fingers crossed it will be better this time.

I need to bring the capri back tomorrow for work on Monday does anybody know how long it will take before I can it drive home after painting the last coat ??
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

First coat of 360 bodyfill primer drying overnigh then another 2 coats tomorrow then start painting with the top coat .
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

caprikid61 wrote:Image

Thats 2 coats of 962 primer on then I rubbed down with 800 grit before Applying some coats of red highfill primer . I have left it overnight to harden/dry before I return tomorrow to start with the top coats so fingers crossed it will be better this time.

I need to bring the capri back tomorrow for work on Monday does anybody know how long it will take before I can it drive home after painting the last coat ??
Looking good! I would suggest you leave it a couple of hours before de-masking, then you should be okay to drive it. But the paint will take a few days to fully harden, so go careful not to subject it to too much abuse and I usually leave it at least a week before I start cutting and polishing the paint.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Forgot to mention both sides have holes !!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Re: thats the capri primed but what now ??

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Folks thats the car primed with 360 bodyfill red primer but the big question is what do I do next ? I am not sure if I should rub it down with wet and dry 800 grit or just give it a once over with a gray rubbing pad ??.

The respray has went pretty well so far so dont want to mess it up now !! So any advice would be most helpfull.

I know the photo is pretty poor but not a lot of room in the garage . Cheers Alex