Green stuff Vs red stuff

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Green stuff Vs red stuff

Post by Arya2.0S »

Hi y'all. What's the difference between the EBC green stuff and red stuff brake pads?
I'm thinking of getting some for mine but not sure what the difference between is?
If anyone knows and can fill me in I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Green stuff Vs red stuff

Post by Paul G »

TBH I would just buy a decent set of Ferodo or Mintex pads and save your money. These will be perfectly adequate for any normally driven Capri. You'd be better off making sure your calipers and flexi hoses were in 100% good condition and that your brake fluid is changed annually.

Still, it's your car, your money and your choice!
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Depends on the intended purpose of vehicle use. We used green stuff on an old xr2 on track and they couldn't handle the abuse. Buy they would be good for road use.
Red stuff are great fast road and track pads. But they are quite dusty.

Personally all round use I'd go red stuff. They work much better than normal pads. Plus they are quite soft so you will wear pads more than discs.
Alot of road pads are very hard and you end up changing discs almost as often as pads.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Reason i ask is im thinking of changing to stainless steel hoses and figured some new higher spec pads would go well with them. I dont drive the car too hard normally, but after the accident i want to make sure i have the best possible brakes i can short of upgrading to new bigger discs and calipers and stronger servo/master cylinder, none of which i can afford lol.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

As far as I understand it the Green Stuff pads are similar to standard equipment. Yellow Stuff are slightly uprated and Red Stuff are regarded as fast road and occasional race.

I put a set of Yellow Stuff front pads on a Jag X type that was my daily driver a couple of years ago and found they really improved the braking capability. They gave a lot more confidence and I didnt feel I had to brake as early as I had done before with that car. From that experience I will certainly put a set on the Capri when they next need changing. Ive heard the Met Police use Yellow Stuff pads in place of OEM pads which must be a recommendation if it's true.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not_Anumber wrote:As far as I understand it the Green Stuff pads are similar to standard equipment. Yellow Stuff are slightly uprated and Red Stuff are regarded as fast road and occasional race.

I put a set of Yellow Stuff front pads on a Jag X type that was my daily driver a couple of years ago and found they really improved the braking capability. They gave a lot more confidence and I didnt feel I had to brake as early as I had done before with that car. From that experience I will certainly put a set on the Capri when they next need changing. Ive heard the Met Police use Yellow Stuff pads in place of OEM pads which must be a recommendation if it's true.
I can't seem to find yellow stuff that fits my calipers. I have M16 calipers, they say yellow stuff will only fit "girling" ones... whatever those are.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

I once fitted green stuff pads in the mrs S2 rst and they were worse than a good quality oe spec pad after bedding in, I threw them straight in the bin
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

First thought for me would be...how good are your tyres?
Once they lock up you're stuffed.
So adding better braking can, in a lot of instances, merely mean that you induce a front end skid that much quicker.
If you get grippier tyres you'll improve the performance on standard brakes.
If, after that, you cannot get them to let go under hard braking, then you have enough grip to upgrade the brakes to suit.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: they say yellow stuff will only fit "girling" ones... whatever those are.
Hi,
Girling is a brand name.

Here are someyellow stuff pads to fit your car.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thanks for the info everyone.