Oil on gearbox

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Oil on gearbox

Post by Arya2.0S »

There appears to be quite a significant amount of oil building up on the underside of my gearbox.
I think its coming out of a little drainage hole right on the bottom of the gearbox right where it joins the engine.
Theres several drips, and they always come back a couple of days later if i wipe them away.
Thing is the engine itself doesn't seem to be losing any oil, but maybe it just hasn't been long enough to notice any difference on the dip-stick and these drips are the result of oil accumulating over a long period.
What could this be and how do i fix it?
I've heard that it could be the crankshaft rear oil seal, or rear main oil seal (same thing?).
Thing is a i cant seem to find any definitive answer and which part i might need, there seems to be loads of different seals and i dont know which i might need.
My gearbox is a 5-speed type 9, engine is a 2.0 Pinto.
Any advice on what this is and finding the parts i might need will also be helpful and appreciated.
Thank you.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Oil on gearbox

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Is it gearbox or engine oil that is leaking?
As well as the rear crankshaft seal, it could be the front gearbox seal that is allowing oil to leak into the bellhousing.
Another thing to check is the oil might be leaking from the rocker cover and dribbling down the rear of the engine. This could look like the drip of oil is coming from the bellhousing, but there will most likely be a tell-tale trail of oil residue from the rocker down.

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Chances are it's the rear crank seal. Only way to replace it is to drop the gearbox, clutch and the flywheel. Not a serious job if you have a ramp.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
As well as the rear crankshaft seal, it could be the front gearbox seal that is allowing oil to leak into the bellhousing.
Another thing to check is the oil might be leaking from the rocker cover and dribbling down the rear of the engine. This could look like the drip of oil is coming from the bellhousing, but there will most likely be a tell-tale trail of oil residue from the rocker down.

Andrew.
I'm not sure. It looks dirty, at least not as clean as the engine oil is which I know is basically like it came just out of a can because it was only changed recently.
I've checked for leaks from the rocker and it's not coming from there. Sump maybe? Wouldn't explain the dirty oil, unless the dirt I saw was just what it's picked up from the outside of the gearbox.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Caprigear wrote:Chances are it's the rear crank seal. Only way to replace it is to drop the gearbox, clutch and the flywheel. Not a serious job if you have a ramp.
The one thing I don't have access to...

Do you know who sells the parts? I'm finding conflicting results.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Arya2.0S wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,

Andrew.
I'm not sure. It looks dirty, at least not as clean as the engine oil is which I know is basically like it came just out of a can because it was only changed recently.
I've checked for leaks from the rocker and it's not coming from there. Sump maybe? Wouldn't explain the dirty oil, unless the dirt I saw was just what it's picked up from the outside of the gearbox.
It'll sound odd, but smell it - gearbox oil is distinctive (not very pleasant!).
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Arya2.0S wrote:
Caprigear wrote:Chances are it's the rear crank seal. Only way to replace it is to drop the gearbox, clutch and the flywheel. Not a serious job if you have a ramp.
The one thing I don't have access to...

Do you know who sells the parts? I'm finding conflicting results.
Yes, I do.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

The oil just smells like normal oil. Not sure what gearbox oil smells like but if it's distinctive then this must just be engine oil as there's nothing distinctive about it.

Martin: do you have the parts I need in stock? Just incase I need them I'd like to know what this could possibly cost me.

Thanks.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Arya2.0S wrote:The oil just smells like normal oil. Not sure what gearbox oil smells like but if it's distinctive then this must just be engine oil as there's nothing distinctive about it.

Martin: do you have the parts I need in stock? Just incase I need them I'd like to know what this could possibly cost me.

Thanks.
Putting it bluntly gearbox oil smells like cat piss!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:The oil just smells like normal oil. Not sure what gearbox oil smells like but if it's distinctive then this must just be engine oil as there's nothing distinctive about it.

Thanks.
Putting it bluntly gearbox oil smells like cat piss!
Well i definitely know what that smells like and it isn't that! lol. Thanks.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have the crank seal.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Caprigear wrote:I have the crank seal.
How much?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I had an oil drip from the fuel pump ( as it turned out ...........eventually ) which not only dripped on the steering rack boot ( a new one didn't stop the leak ) but also , when mobile , the drip would flick up and hit the block around the mount bosses and then run back along the top of the sump flange and down the bell housing ( and on to Grants new driveway :xd: :whistle: ). So , I "fixed" a leaky boot and rear seal by replacing the fuel pump :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh