Sunroof tilt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cockneyreject
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0s
Classic mini Paul smith edition

Sunroof tilt

Post by Cockneyreject »

Another issue I have is,when picked up car sunroof was dragging on slide mechanism,and had scratched itself,when used,this has been fixed and resprayed(although seems to sit a bit to low,I thought they should be flush)
But no matter if I move switch to tilt mode it just does slide on both options,getting annoying now,any suggestions please
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Sunroof tilt

Post by Arya2.0S »

Did they refit the metal tabs on the runners that push the sunroof up and allow it to tilt?
Cockneyreject
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0s
Classic mini Paul smith edition

Post by Cockneyreject »

No idea bud,
how could I tell?
I checked it opened when I picked it up,but not the tilt fumction.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Cockneyreject wrote:if I move switch to tilt mode it just does slide on both options,getting annoying now,any suggestions please
Hi mate,

Sounds like this could be one of those bleeding problems that might be a more of a pain to sort yourself and to get it all refitted and working again correctly from what I have heard from a few who have had sunroof issues. Not sure where you live but I know that Jason ( "jasonmarie" ) from this forum had issues with his recently and he left his Capri with the chaps at Tickover who removed, fixed, cleaned and refitted it all for £40 ! They said they get a lot of sunroof issues so they repair them all the time by the sound of it ! They are based just over the Dartford Crossing in Kent. If you are still having issues with yours then I would be inclined to leave it to them to get it sorted and adjusted proper.

Just a thought...

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Cockneyreject wrote:No idea bud,
how could I tell?
I checked it opened when I picked it up,but not the tilt fumction.

There are the bits that allow it to tilt. They are screwed on to the runners (onto the chrome bits of metal with 3x screws either side), you should be able to see them if you slide the sunroof back most of the way.

As Nick said though, these can be infuriating and very stressful so you'll have to figure out whether its worth the hassle or not. Ive been tempted to take mine to Tickover but i lack the £40 and im worried they might damage something or end up finding out they cant fix mine anyway so would have wasted £40 and £10 petrol to get there, as well as toll fees for the crossing of course.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

When it comes to sunroofs I would not even try and sort it and leave it to the blokes at Tickover I just said I could not open my fully and my daughter who's 10 wants it open and they said it's such a easy fix and was done in the morning . I just took the car out with the roof open and it was heaven ..

Dartford tunnel on a Friday it's a 5 hour journey it can take me 8 mins to get to the Tunnel or sometimes 2 hrs best ever was I had to stay at my Nan & Grandads in Dagenham as I could not get home to Kent . So yes Iam lucky to have Tickover my side of the water .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:When it comes to sunroofs I would not even try and sort it and leave it to the blokes at Tickover I just said I could not open my fully and my daughter who's 10 wants it open and they said it's such a easy fix and was done in the morning . I just took the car out with the roof open and it was heaven ..

Dartford tunnel on a Friday it's a 5 hour journey it can take me 8 mins to get to the Tunnel or sometimes 2 hrs best ever was I had to stay at my Nan & Grandads in Dagenham as I could not get home to Kent . So yes Iam lucky to have Tickover my side of the water .
The issue with mine i think is the runners under the roof skin might be rusted so it pushes the top the the sunroof panel up if you try to open it all the way and it will scratch the paint. Considering i just did a full respray on the car not too long ago this is not something i want to risk.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

No I don't blame you as your paint work is sweet as mine would do the Tilt ok but when you went back stopped after about 2" and they said it's a common fault and a easy fix as the runner in side falls down and the roof hits this so they take the roof panel off the car was all cleaned and waxed with a white type grease on the sides and the tube thing in the roof was re placed and glued or I think was silicon in place then my panel was refitted and all was working again .

I know the chap who had the car for 10 years said he had never tried to open it . Saying that he never drove it but when the car had a respray it was removed and I can tell in the pictures . Saying that there's 4 little bits that need doing on my paint work which I must sort out so my start a new thred on that where to get little paint work jobs done ?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:No I don't blame you as your paint work is sweet as mine would do the Tilt ok but when you went back stopped after about 2" and they said it's a common fault and a easy fix as the runner in side falls down and the roof hits this so they take the roof panel off the car was all cleaned and waxed with a white type grease on the sides and the tube thing in the roof was re placed and glued or I think was silicon in place then my panel was refitted and all was working again .

I know the chap who had the car for 10 years said he had never tried to open it . Saying that he never drove it but when the car had a respray it was removed and I can tell in the pictures . Saying that there's 4 little bits that need doing on my paint work which I must sort out so my start a new thred on that where to get little paint work jobs done ?
Hmm sounds very tempting to take mine to them too.

What sort off paint work do you need as i might be able to help. I'll be a damn sight lot cheaper than a "professional" who does the exact same work but charges 10x as much lol
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

It's only a few little bits on the top of the drivers wing almost looks like a paint run in two or three places also I found what looks like a paint blister on the door ? Car had a full respray in 2011 .
We will have to have like a mini meet up and you can have a look ... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:It's only a few little bits on the top of the drivers wing almost looks like a paint run in two or three places also I found what looks like a paint blister on the door ? Car had a full respray in 2011 .
We will have to have like a mini meet up and you can have a look ... :beer:
Yeah maybe. Doesn't sound like something i wouldn't be able to do, would probably need the car for a couple of days though.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Ok cheers for that , next time I take the old girl your side of the river I will let you know or when you come this side to get the sunroof looked at I would book with them now as they are so busy and have people on a waiting list I even booked my MOT for October two weeks ago to make sure I was on the list .
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Ok cheers for that , next time I take the old girl your side of the river I will let you know or when you come this side to get the sunroof looked at I would book with them now as they are so busy and have people on a waiting list I even booked my MOT for October two weeks ago to make sure I was on the list .
I might be making a trip to the IKEA at Lakeside soon, maybe we could meet there?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Ok let us know as the traffic here can be a right pain in the bbbbbbbb
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Ok let us know as the traffic here can be a right pain in the bbbbbbbb
It'll probably be in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.