Trickle charger

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Trickle charger

Post by Jasonmarie »

Hello I have had a look and the information seems old but when them winter months are on there way I would like to use a Trickle charger with also leaving the battery in the car . Yes it will be garaged but still don't know if I will use a cover .

Wonder if you have any thoughts ladies and gents .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Trickle charger

Post by andyd »

I just disconnect the Negative Battery Lead when car is not in use, and cover it with 3 bed sheets in the garage.

Starts easily after 4 months and stays dust and dead insect free :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
As Andy says, disconnect the battery. As long as it's in good condition it should be good to go in the spring without needing a charge.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well that's saved me some money I will just do the easy way as it works for you guys . So no starting it up every month ? Just say night night November time and hello march time . :beer:
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

I use a Ctek trickle charger which keeps it ticking over when the car is not in use. Doesnt overcharge and i have fixed leads to the battery for easy disconnection.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Well that's saved me some money I will just do the easy way as it works for you guys . So no starting it up every month ? Just say night night November time and hello march time . :beer:
Works for me! I put a rag in the exhaust tailpipe to keep mice etc out, and roll down the window an inch to let air circulate, over inflate tyres to prevent flatspots or put on a set of spare wheels with tyres you aren't worried about, cover it and that's it.
As Andrew said, as long as the battery is in good order, it will fire up in the spring :D

Depending who you believe, many say it is worse to start them on a monthly basis than leaving them alone.

I use one of these, only for round terminal batteries http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Isola ... SwhcJWOd~h
Fix to negative terminal, attach negative lead to other end. When you loosen or remove the green knob, battery is disconnected. Also handy if you go somewhere helps prevent theft, no spanners required once fitted :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Works for me! I put a rag in the exhaust tailpipe to keep mice etc out, and roll down the window an inch to let air circulate, over inflate tyres to prevent flatspots or put on a set of spare wheels with tyres you aren't worried about, cover it and that's it.
I agree with all of the above. If you don't have a spare set of wheels, an alternative is to use two sets of axle stands to keep the car off the ground.
andyd wrote:Depending who you believe, many say it is worse to start them on a monthly basis than leaving them alone.
Opinions do differ on this. I tend to use the car for as long as possible, say until late October, then start using it again at the start of March. That way, the winter lay-up is only four months. Four months standing still shouldn't cause any issues, providing the precautions described by Andy are adhered to.
If you buy twelve months of tax in March and cancel it before the end of October, it only costs £29 more than buying six months of tax. That's £29 for two whole months of use.....a bargain! :D

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

i love reading and about classic cars also all the tv shows and it does seem the way to go is just leave the car alone .
So I will be getting her MOT in October from them great guys called Tickover snd then stick it on a sorn ready for that sunny march day .

Thanks for the Tip on the car Tax