Fuel supply line 3litre Capri

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Macalac
Car(s): Ford Capri MkII 3 Litre Ghia. - work in progress

Fuel supply line 3litre Capri

Post by Macalac »

I am after a bit of advice please. I have just inherited a 1977 3litre ghia and am preparing for an MOT. The car has not been run for over three years (but garaged) and some of the fuel supply lines are perished and need replacement. I have traced the fuel supply line through the engine bay and it seems to be all a rubber hose going to the rear of the car. Could somebody please advise if this is normal as I was expecting to find a copper or steel pipe between engine bay and fuel tank with just short hoses connecting them.

Regards

Macalac
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Fuel supply line 3litre Capri

Post by Paul G »

It's normally a plastic pipe. There is a short rubber joining pipe between the fuel sender and the plastic pipe then it runs forward along the floor and goes through the floor strengthener and carries on for about another foot.

There then is a rubber connecting section onto a steel pipe which clips into the back of the front crossmember and the steel pipe runs up towards the fuel pump where there are further rubber sections to the pump and onwards to the carb. On a 3 litre there should be a fuel return pipe as well which runs along the floor parallel to the supply pipe.

When replacing the rubber pipe make sure you get ethanol proof pipe as that is now in petrol and creates havoc with old rubber pipes. If the plastic pipes have been removed in the past and replaced with rubber hose I would suggest getting in touch with one of the capri breakers and getting a set of the correct pipes if you can.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
If you need one and Martin can't help you out there is a fuel return pipe on Ebay at the moment.
I'm sure the pipe for the 2.8 and 3.0 are the same, although I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Andrew.
Macalac
Car(s): Ford Capri MkII 3 Litre Ghia. - work in progress

Post by Macalac »

Andrew, Paul,

Many thanks for the response and advice.

The last rubber pipe to the carburettor had perished and leaked when I managed to get the engine running (not run for at least four years) so will look at replacing all the rubber pipes with the correct spec to protect from ethanol.

I will also double check to check I have the right set up underneath.

Macalac