Sanding down capri bodywork

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Sanding down capri bodywork

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi guys, does anyone know what I can use to sand down the bodywork on my capri ? I do this every year but just done it by hand so it takes adges. Was thinking of getting a new drill with some sort of part that holds the round sandpaper discs , would this do the job or would I be better getting a orbital sander that takes the disks? Not sure what to go for though as I guess you get some for wood and some for metal.

Also does anyone know of someone in Scotland who can do a good spray job (blowover) for around £500 to £700 as I am not keen on using rattle cans as I have tried this in the past with poor results. The reason I am painting the car again is because I painted her last year but I ended up with a lot of cracks in the paintwork looks like a cracked eggshell !! doing my head in . Please help cheers Alex
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Re: Sanding down capri bodywork

Post by Will01 »

i use a Bosch DA sander, but depending on what bodywork you need to do and if any filler work, you may require large sanding blocks.
Be careful with a DA as over the centre of panels you can cause these to resonate and it can flat back the car at a different rate to elsewhere(e.g. give a slight dent or slight rise depending on your technique)

i just spent 6-7 weeks every evening doing my entire Mk3, it is a job i now truly hate, but i am also finding someone with a spray booth. i have the car in primer, done in garage, but i need somewhere for final paint. although i only need a clean room as we can spray ourselves.
Where in Scotland are you?
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Will thanks for the reply , I am in Auchtermuchty Fife. Cheers Alex
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

caprikid61 wrote:I am in Auchtermuchty Fife
Hi,
That's where the Proclaimers are from, isn't it? :D

Andrew.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Thats right Andrew I was at school with them many years ago but I do think Auchtermuchty is better known for Jimmy Shand .

Still looking for someone to spray my capri as there are no places around here that will take it on. Alex
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Alex,
If you haven't already, it might be worth getting in contact with one of the Scottish Capri clubs. You never know, they might just have a member who could have some recommendations for a sprayer in your area.
http://www.capriclubscotland.co.uk
http://www.scottishcapri.co.uk

Hopefully, you won't have to "walk 500 miles" to find somebody to take the job on.......... :lol: :goodluck:

Andrew.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Good one Andrew lol you are on the ball tonight eh ? Lol :applaud: :cheers:
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Andrew , thanks for your idea about the capri clubs in Scotland . I have had lots of members come up with sprayers that they have used so it looks like my capri might be shining again soon . Cheers Alex
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Just in case the cracks you referred to are caused by a reaction to an underlying paint surface if could be worth giving the car a coat of isolator primer such as P962 or similar. It gives some piece of mind that nothing underneath can find its way through to react with and eventually spoil the paint finish.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

caprikid61 wrote:Hi Andrew , thanks for your idea about the capri clubs in Scotland . I have had lots of members come up with sprayers that they have used so it looks like my capri might be shining again soon . Cheers Alex
Hi Alex,
Sounds promising! Out of those recommendations, hopefully you'll find somebody suitable.
Good luck!

Andrew.