speedo stopped working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

speedo stopped working

Post by Ghia15 »

HI all,

My speedo stopped working on the way home from classic ford the other week and cannot get it back working yet.

I have removed the white dial kit as it had peeled off and looked like it was jamming the needle. I tested the speedo and when I turn the dial manually the needle does move.

I have made sure the cable is properly connected on the back of the dial and the gearbox is properly connected and still no joy.

I have a new cable on order.

The gear box has done about 800 miles since rebuild so don't think it will be that but could the drive gear have stripped itself with all the power runs from the day?

The needle has been flicking all over the place between 0 and 20mph before it happened.

Any ideas.

Going to plead with my mot guy that it does work over 20mph as I need time to sort the car out and I need it for crap next weekend.

Any advice needed asap as mot on tues as it is the only day I finish early from work.

Thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: speedo stopped working

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
If the needle was flickering, I would suspect that the cable was at fault.

To test it, make sure the cable is fitted properly into the back of the speedo and then disconnect the cable at the gearbox end. Manually turn the exposed inner cable at the gearbox end by hand, if while doing this the speedo needle does not move, then the cable is at fault. If it does move/flicker then there is a problem with the drive gear in the gearbox or the cable was not attached properly into the gearbox. You may need a helper to look at the speedo while you are turning the cable.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Thanks,

Going to try that tomorrow or tonight.

Just running out of time at the moment for the mot.

Hoping not gearbox but will see what's what.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Ghia15 wrote:
Going to plead with my mot guy that it does work over 20mph as I need time to sort the car out and I need it for crap next weekend.

Any advice needed asap as mot on tues as it is the only day I finish early from work.

Thanks.

Speedo doesn't come into the MOT. They just write down whatever mileage is displayed on it - my old MGB had the same mileage for its last three MOT's.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Hi, I checked the new mot rules and a non functioning speedo is a fail now.

Found the problem.

Took the cable off the gearbox to test if the speedo was working. About of inch of cable stayed in the box with a real rats nest on it.

That explains the jumpy speedo upto 20mph as all the frayed cables were catching.

Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

All being well there is nothing that should fail the mot so fingers crossed.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I stand corrected, it seems they do have to be fitted. However, so long as they are fitted and illuminated at night, they are not tested as far actually working.

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/6.7/Speedometer#MOT
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Not an issue, found my spare cable last night off my old laser.

Fitted and all working.

Car is down for an MOT tomorrow so fingers crossed.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:they are not tested as far actually working
Hi,
It states that a "clearly inoperative" speedo is a reason for failure. The tester probably has a look at it when the car is on the rollers to test the brakes.

Ghia15, I'm pleased that the issue turned out to be a nice easy fix.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It will be a visual check I should think. If it is obviously in poor condition, cracked or wrecked then I assume that would be an issue, otherwise if it is visually alright than that's ok. As Paul says I don't think it is tested for working.