bolt on air filter problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rumone

bolt on air filter problem

Post by rumone »

hello all !just put a tall bolt on air filter on my 2.0 pinto !now running fast!tried altering the idle screw but nothing!will I need to alter the fuel mixture ?
car was originaly set up with out any air box on![just needed it running at the time!
sorry if this is a numpty question but its been a long day! :oops:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: bolt on air filter problem

Post by Paul G »

Fitting a differnt air filter shouldn't really make much difference. Is the new air filter or one of its bolts catching on the choke flaps or has a bolt gone too far through the top of the carb and caught on the fast idle mechanism behind the choke unit?

If tweaking the idle screw hasn't made any difference then it must be something to do with the new air filter physically keeping a throttle flap slightly open.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I have heard these aftermarket air filters can knock out the fuel mixture a little bit, never heard of them messing up the idle speed and not being able to change it afterwards. What carb is it?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I would say a picture would help as it must be something wrong with the filter if all is well when removed .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
rumone

Post by rumone »

All sorted bots and girls! The spring on the carb lingage fought traped! Thanks for everyone's help!