Fueling issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Fueling issue

Post by -JC- »

Tried to start the capri today for the first time in probably a year.(Did try a few month back but drained the battery and it didn't start). Charged up the battery overnight and tried starting with easy start. Fired up, but cut out. Checked for fuel flow from the pump and there was none. Replaced pump with a new spare and still the same. Fuel gauge is reading over half a tank, but I'm aware of the voltage regulator issue, so a friend suggested blowing air back through the fuel hose and listening at the tank end through the filler cap - it bubbled and vapour was evident. Still not a drop of fuel coming out of the pipe. Any ideas?
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Fueling issue

Post by Peter-S »

-JC- wrote:Tried to start the capri today for the first time in probably a year.(Did try a few month back but drained the battery and it didn't start). Charged up the battery overnight and tried starting with easy start. Fired up, but cut out. Checked for fuel flow from the pump and there was none. Replaced pump with a new spare and still the same. Fuel gauge is reading over half a tank, but I'm aware of the voltage regulator issue, so a friend suggested blowing air back through the fuel hose and listening at the tank end through the filler cap - it bubbled and vapour was evident. Still not a drop of fuel coming out of the pipe. Any ideas?

The fuel pump is operated by a short push rod, try removing the pump and pulling out and cleaning/lubricating the push rod in case it is sticking.

If you don't mind the taste of petrol you could also try disconnecting the pipe at the bottom of the pump and sucking fuel through. This will make sure the pipe is properly primed.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Peter-S wrote:
-JC- wrote:Tried to start the capri today for the first time in probably a year.(Did try a few month back but drained the battery and it didn't start). Charged up the battery overnight and tried starting with easy start. Fired up, but cut out. Checked for fuel flow from the pump and there was none. Replaced pump with a new spare and still the same. Fuel gauge is reading over half a tank, but I'm aware of the voltage regulator issue, so a friend suggested blowing air back through the fuel hose and listening at the tank end through the filler cap - it bubbled and vapour was evident. Still not a drop of fuel coming out of the pipe. Any ideas?

The fuel pump is operated by a short push rod, try removing the pump and pulling out and cleaning/lubricating the push rod in case it is sticking.

If you don't mind the taste of petrol you could also try disconnecting the pipe at the bottom of the pump and sucking fuel through. This will make sure the pipe is properly primed.
Thanks, will check the pushrod. Not keen on the taste of petrol, but might see if I can come up with another way to suck it up.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

If you get it in your mouth, just wash your gob out with a solutiuon of Fairy liquid, then some fresh fresh water. Tastes bad, but it's gone in 30 sec and certainly beats having that petrolly mouth for hours.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

So:

* push rod works fine, nice and clean and shiny
* sucked fuel up to the pump ok by sucking on the hose (thanks for the tip Major Tom)
* still wouldn't start, wouldn't pump out the top with the top hose disconnected
* bottom hose put into a jam jar of petrol, it sucked fuel through, and ran ok.

It does seem like some of the hoses are badly deteriorated (fucking ethanol petrol, motherfucking motor factors that sold me the wrong type of hose, AGAIN!).

1) Could an air leak(s) be enough to stop the pump from sucking up petrol?
2) My dad reckons it turns over too slowly on the starter, could that affect how well it's pumping?
3) Should I have got a better starter to counterbalance the lightened flywheel?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

-JC- wrote: bottom hose put into a jam jar of petrol, it sucked fuel through, and ran ok.

So that proves the pump works and the carb is fine :)

So either there is not much fuel in the tank - perhaps tip a gallon in from a can - or the pipe is restricting the fuel flow. There could be a kink in the pipe so have a good look or the pipe could be collapsing internally. This will probably only be the rubber connection at the tank end or the rubber sections in the engine bay. I've had some duff pipe so would look at that as the likely culprit.
I don't think the starter motor is the problem as the pump runs off engine speed and you had it run briefly off the petrol in the carb so it should have pumped fine from then.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Oh yeah, we put a can of petrol in too. Will maybe try replacing hoses. Might be back in a sec to ask sizes and specs to stand up to ethanol if search doesn't help me out!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

-JC- wrote:Tried to start the capri today for the first time in probably a year
A year?....Wow, your Alfa must be fun to drive if you haven't felt the urge to drive the Capri for a whole year! :)

Andrew.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Hahah, yeah it is really fun to drive, although obviously a very different beast to the capri. I've only had the Alfa since Feb though, my only excuse before that was laziness and lack of mojo (niggling recurring problems that were/are a pain to deal with)