Under bonnet pad ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Under bonnet pad ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Whats the thought on under bonnet pads ? Mine hasn't got one and it looks a bit bare without it. For originality Id like to fit one but are they worthwhile and who sells the things ?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Under bonnet pad ?

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny as I was asking nick the other day about sound from the k&n filter as I noted some capris don't have the sound proof under the bonnet , myself have always had this under there so I really don't know but looking on eBay very local to me somebody is selling a bonnet with it on and it's only £20 ... with all the fittings you would need .

Here's the link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192214070082 :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I have one, probably not mint but it would need collecting. Where are you?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Not_Anumber wrote:Whats the thought on under bonnet pads ? Mine hasn't got one and it looks a bit bare without it. For originality Id like to fit one but are they worthwhile and who sells the things ?
Hi mate,

Yep its true, guilty as charged.... I don't have the sound deadening on mine....

Image20160412_182400 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Depends want you want fella. Complete originality then you have answered your own question. Many more Capri owners I have noticed have done away with this, probably more for 'cosmetic' reasons than anything else as its a pain in the arse to keep the dam thing clean :lol:
My previous Laser had one and the neighbours thought I had lost the plot when they seen me trying to hoover it !! Now I can wax the underside of bonnet instead which still makes the neighbours think I have lost the plot :wave:

When I bought B112 it did not actually have this deadening so after pondering about whether to fit one I decided to leave it without. You say it looks bare to you which I understand what you mean, but to me it reveals the contours of the underside of the bonnet really nicely and gives it more character...a bit like wooden beams in a thatch cottage :lol: but this is me talking here after all and I completely get people who prefer to keep it.
Oh yeah it reduces the sound from the engine too...if this is what you really want :)

Regarding where to get them then you could try Martin at Capri Gear but methinks its prob quite hard to find a nice example. That bonnet that Jason found looks a really good buy if the deadening is in good condition. Even if you don't want the bonnet it a brilliant price to get what you want ? otherwise you could try Tickover too ??
Jasonmarie wrote:Funny as I was asking nick the other day about sound from the k&n filter as I noted some capris don't have the sound proof under the bonnet
Jason I did not realise that was why you were asking me about the k+n fella. Yep there is def more noise with the combination of k+n and no sound deadening....but I would have it no other way mate :)
Great spot on that bonnet by the way, complete with the deadening too all for £20. Very good find ! :applaud:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

nick no I was just asking as I have heard people talk about the k&N can make quite a noise and after looking later I relized you never had the pad under the bonnet , I only spotted tonight and thought £20 a good price and was going to pm you to see if you wanted one . But yes yours looks really nice without .
Just funny somebody asked tonight as well . I don't know the answer to this but are the pads all the same threw the Capri range or is the 2.8i ,3.0 different to the 2.0,1.6 ?

Ps
Just love the look at your engine bay every time I see it ...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hey Jason. Thanks for thinking of me re the sound deadening mate. Very nice of you indeed fella but as said I will keep it as it is methinks as am used to the sound now :lol:
Yep K+N Filters certainly produce a different sound to the airbox mate. ! I dont feel its too loud at all.
Just seen that Peter has posted that he has one going so hopefully Not_Anumber will be able to get hold of one from him or the one you spotted on ebay. Now he had two very decent options all thanks to the good people of this forum :)

Cheers Jason and thanks again for the thought mate.

All the best

Nick

Ps Thats a very good question re different ones for the Capri range. Surely the bonnet had identical contours underneath but maybe the pads are suited to different engines. Never really thought about this. I am guessing its the same throughout the range as the bonnet still has to close no matter what lies beneath and it does fit into the bonnet contours after all ???
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

No problem as I always say we don't own these capris we are just looking after them for the next lucky person .

We might have to start doing how clean is your boot ? Thinking about that I might clean the washbottle up in there , with I guess old water in there .
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I was speaking to someone about the bonnet sound deadening at the weekend at a show. My car still has it, but apparently not all did, it is quite specific to model and/or year.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:I was speaking to someone about the bonnet sound deadening at the weekend at a show. My car still has it, but apparently not all did, it is quite specific to model and/or year.
Thats very interesting Paul. Seems a bit strange though why some models/years may have been excempt from this as its a removeable item so the option would have been there and as its sound deadening suppose it makes sense to factory fit it.. As said though my previous Laser which was a 1986 did have the sound deadening but this 1984 one I have now did not when I purchased it. Not sure if any of the previous owners removed it themselves or as you say some might not have had it at all ? Be really interested to find out. Cheers Paul
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks for the link to the bonnet. I suspect with 3 days to go the bidding will go quite high by the end.

Peter, Lets sort out a price for that, Do you think it can be carefully rolled up to be collected ?
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I remember when i first got my 1984 2.0 S it had the sound deadening but i took it out. Kept it for years then lost it when my dad had to give up his workshop.
Oh well, i was never gonna use it anyway as i took it off for a reason (so i could hear my pinto roar! lol).
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It's nice to have the sound deadening as it's an original fitment, but I'd be surprised if it actually had much effect on sound suppression.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Just a update that bonnet and the pad did not sell and it's back on for £20 .
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Bloody hell!
I've torn that off every single one of mine. All I found it did was attract mice! I must admit they look cleaner to me without but no doubt I'll live to regret that soon as the prices carry on rising!