Sliding Sunroof only opens one turn?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Sliding Sunroof only opens one turn?

Post by D366Y »

Hey chaps,

I was out enjoying the weather today so wound the sunroof back to let some sun into the car, stopped off and popped into the shop quickly and rather than wind the sunroof the whole way in, I left it open ever so slightly (one turn left to fully close) and when I came back to it, the thing wouldn't open up again? Thank christ it closes but I can't open it and wind it all the way back again??

any ideas where I can even start? Preferably without taking it out, they are notorious for being a nightmare to get back in!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Sliding Sunroof only opens one turn?

Post by Arya2.0S »

Have you tried flicking the little plastic switch up or down (opposite of whichever direction it's facing now) and trying again?
They are more hassle than they are worth, mine nearly gave me a nervous breakdown and it still doesn't work properly. I got it to close properly and pop up and gave up on the rest.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Tilt/Slide Sunroof was the official jargon.
I prefer to just use the tilt function so I don't get too much sunshine...

One problem that does arise is rust bubbles & flakes under the car roof that scratch the sunroof top surface as you wind it back, being out of adjustment can also put scratches on it and even having the car jacked up high at one corner will twist the bodywork & lift a rear corner of the sunroof.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

nigecapri wrote:Tilt/Slide Sunroof was the official jargon.
I prefer to just use the tilt function so I don't get too much sunshine...

One problem that does arise is rust bubbles & flakes under the car roof that scratch the sunroof top surface as you wind it back, being out of adjustment can also put scratches on it and even having the car jacked up high at one corner will twist the bodywork & lift a rear corner of the sunroof.
Think it might be out of adjustment then, but it was working fine all day beforehand?? I have tried closing and flicking the black tilt/slide thing up and down and works fine on tilt still, but still only slides back on rotation...

Odd!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

In the middle there a runner that's drops down your sounds just like mine did , I gave mine to Tickover who said it's a common fault & can take the sunroof out clean , grease & fix and all was done for £40 .

As I is a nightmare to get in & out
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: