Running C3 automatic transmission without oil cooler?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
thanasis
Car(s): Ford Capri MKIII 1.6 GL Auto

Running C3 automatic transmission without oil cooler?

Post by thanasis »

Hello,

I need to replace the radiator for my automatic 1.6 and i was thinking going for the standard one without the internal cooler plus a separate cooler for the trans. Do you think i can drive with no extra cooling for the transmission? Is it going to have an immediate effect on the C3 or i can go on for a couple of weeks without trans oil cooling till i get the separate cooler sorted out?

Also does anyone have an idea what thread type and size the standard bottom fittings on the ford automatic radiator for the trans are? UNF? BPT?

Thank you.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Running C3 automatic transmission without oil cooler?

Post by Paul G »

I'd have thought getting the original radiator re-cored or repaired would be the best option but I'm sure a transmission cooler could be found and installed. I would not drive the car far without the oil cooler, especially in the hot weather you must be having by now.

Is it Greece you're in? I can't remember.
thanasis
Car(s): Ford Capri MKIII 1.6 GL Auto

Post by thanasis »

Yeah, it's starting to get in the 30's C degrees here in Greece. The old radiator is in pretty bad shape, so i am trying to avoid putting a new core. I am afraid it is going to be falling completely apart when they are gonna attach the side metal panels and especially the bottom one.

Is the new universal trans cooler going to be ok if the metal lines are cut and connected with rubber hoses? Those are the things that are bothering me regarding the standalone oil cooler...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

If you got rubber hoses made for the job you'd be ok . I once had a 283 chev with a 2 speed power glide trans and I tried to make hoses and I can tell you that ordinary 1/2" oil hose didn't like either the pressure or the heat.(.exxon valdez ) slip-on fittings and hose clips don't cut it either :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh