4.0 Cologne

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Braindead
Car(s): 1977 Capri 2.8 Holley 4 barrel, 4 speed.
1992 F150 4.9 IL6 EFI 5 speed 2wd
1995 F250 7.5 V8 EFI auto 2wd
1999 F150 4.2 (Canadian) Essex V6 EFI auto 2wd
1998 Ram 5.9 Magnum V8 EFI auto 2wd
1991 Safari 4.3 Vortec V6 EFI auto

4.0 Cologne

Post by Braindead »

I am a new member, as of about one hour ago.
I have recently purchased a 1977 Capri 2.8 four speed car and was hoping i could find anyone with the answers to a few questions I have.
Quick synopsis on my car; 2.8 with a Holley four-barrel carb and headers (single tube per cylinder into collector(s) I believe it is called a "branch" exhaust in Europe?) and manual transmission. We don't see a lot of Rover Aluminium V8 engines in Canada, so that is not a realistic option. I am considering changing the Cologne 2.8 for a Cologne 4.0 (either OHV or SOHC) for a few reasons which include better reliability and smoother operation with fuel injection.
The fact that both of the 4.0 engines are available here for almost nothing, usually including the truck it came in and it's relatively narrow 8.8 inch limited slip rear differential doesn't hurt either. They are available cheap because the A4LD automatic transmission many were infested with was based on the P.O.S. C3 instead of the C4, and most of those A4LD transmissions are useless now. I apologize for the oncoming barrage of questions, but I am deciding where I want to go with this build before I get started.
First question is about swapping the 2.8 for a 4.0 Cologne engine. I am planning to stick with the stock displacement and not switching crankshafts from different V6 engines. I want a good handling, quick, fast and reliable car that is cheap and easy to work on.
What does each engine (Cologne 2.8, 4.0 OHV, 4.0 SOHC, 2.3 Pinto IL4) weigh? I cannot get a consistent answer online. I have seen variations of hundreds of pounds in the same engine categories for the same engines.
The 2.8 sold here has three exhaust ports on each side as do the 4.0 Cologne engines. Will the 2.8 exhaust, oil pan, oil pump, bell housing, and related internals switch directly on to the 4.0? It might be of significance that the Cologne engines here are non-interference engines.
Although they are completely absent here, would Cosworth 2.9 heads fit on a 4.0 and what changes are required? Would they offer a benefit over the stock 4.0 heads (OHV or SOHC)?
What are the best ways of strengthening the chassis for high power without the modifications being visible?
What would be involved in moving the entire drive line as far back as is practical? Will the exhaust manifolds need replacing?
Will a T5 transmission fit in the car without modification to any sheet metal? Are there any bell housings available that will allow the V6 to bolt to the T5? Mustang II V6 four speed bell housings will work with minor modifications, but are hard to find.
I have heard that the Capri was originally designed to be available with all wheel drive, is that true? Who made the systems, and are there any kits available ? Have any AWD Capris been built by enthusiasts?
Last question is has anyone made a Capri shooting brake and are there any images available online?
Thanks for any help and advice.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: 4.0 Cologne

Post by Not_Anumber »

The conversion from European early 2.8 Cologne to 2.9 Cologne has been done many times and is a popular conversion. In Europe we had access to the 24 valve version of this engine as well as the standard 12 valve. The engines are closely related and the mounting points are the same which helps. My understanding is that the 4 litre is a slightly taller version of the 2.9 but otherwise similar and that at least one person on this or perhaps the Capri Power forum has done this conversion.

The heads on European versions of the 2.8 and 2.8 injection engines had what used to be called 'siamesed' exhaust ports on 2 cylinders of each bank. From the outside there are only 2x visible exhaust ports each side not 3 as you would expect. (No one really understands why though the story goes it was so they could use the same exhaust manifolds and systems for V4 or V6 engines.)

The cylinder heads on the US version of the 2.8 engine though had heads with 6 visible exhaust ports. (frankly a lot more sensible).

Swapping the European 2.8 for a 2.9 or 4 litre - you could not use the same exhaust manifolds, totally different.

Swapping the US 2.8 for a 2.9 or 4 litre - looks similar but would suggest you check they match.

I have heard of the 2.9 24 valve heads being fitted on a 4.0 but not seen it myself, others on the forum may know more.

in terms of strengthening, all UK spec 3.0 litre and 2.8 Injection cars had additional strengthening around the inner wings which is not present on the 4 cylinder cars. A search around this forum will show where this is. Most but certainly not all, those who convert a 4 cylinder car to a V6 here in the UK tend to add this. I am not sure if this strengthening was fitted to non injected 2.8 cars for North American or mainland European markets though.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

DON'T Go for 4.0 OHV unless you are prepared to buy forged crankshaft and rods or to set rpm limiter to max 5500rpm.
Seen 3 times 4.0 OHV crankshaft to fail it has way too long stroke to handle 6000rpm or higher.

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/pm0063 ... a.jpg.html

In sweden couple of guys succesfull got 400bhb out of 4.0 ohv with turbo but max rpm was 5350....
and 1.5 bar boost.

T5 gearbox ain't that much better if you need better gearbox buy some ZF gearbox or BMW getrag 265 gearbox.

RS3100 race models used to have following.
"ZF or Getrag 5 speed Manual gearbox" Even T5 wasn't capable of handling all power and torque.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Vermilion wrote:DON'T Go for 4.0 OHV unless you are prepared to buy forged crankshaft and rods or to set rpm limiter to max 5500rpm.
Seen 3 times 4.0 OHV crankshaft to fail it has way too long stroke to handle 6000rpm or higher.

In sweden couple of guys succesfull got 400bhb out of 4.0 ohv with turbo but max rpm was 5350....
and 1.5 bar boost.

T5 gearbox ain't that much better if you need better gearbox buy some ZF gearbox or BMW getrag 265 gearbox.

"ZF or Getrag 5 speed Manual gearbox" Even T5 wasn't capable of handling all power and torque.
Good advice mate thanks!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:DON'T Go for 4.0 OHV unless you are prepared to buy forged crankshaft and rods or to set rpm limiter to max 5500rpm.

and 1.5 bar boost.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the crankshaft as the weak link in those particular instances.
Yes the crank did end up getting broken in a couple of pretty catastrophic blow ups.
But what I read into those engine failures was, the builder had run two separate designs of crank girdles. Indicating to me that
he knew there was a block weakness issue.
I haven't read anywhere on the U.S forums of the 4.0l having crank issues and I'm sure if the crank was as weak as you say then there would be plenty of people saying so.
Also that particular engine you linked to was not a 4.0l but a 4.4l engine with offset ground stroked crank. Maybe the extra stroking of the crank may have weakened it.
As for the 5500 rpm limit, as a guess I would be more inclined to say that had more to do with them running the standard hydraulic lifters than anything else.
I have no hesitation rev-ing my 4.0l crank to 6500rpm, and it does go there quite regularly. It gets rev-ed to 6000rpm + at some stage everytime I take the car out. :D

Totally agree with you on the T5 gearbox, there're not as strong as people think. I believe they are rated at 300-330 ftlb torque depending on year of manufacture, not much more than the MT75 at 275 ftlbs.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

What would be the vehicle to source a 4 litre Cologne from in the UK ?
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

Not_Anumber wrote:What would be the vehicle to source a 4 litre Cologne from in the UK ?
Did the UK get the Ford Explorer? If so they came out with both the SOHC and OHV variants depending on year of manufacture.