2.8 Running rough.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
mark1982
Car(s): ford capri 2.8 project

2.8 Running rough.

Post by mark1982 »

put my 2.8 on the rolling road for a tune up on friday. Before hand she was starting first turn of the key when cold and went really well. flew after 6000 rpm prob due to the cams. problems were once warm would havev to put your foot to the floor to start her and a slight bit of pre ignition when turning her off.

Since the tune up she struggles to start and is absolute powerless. struggles to rev above 3000 rpm when on the road. feels like she is misfiring.

when there he adjusted the timing , mixture , and said she was running lean so tryed altering the fuel pressure on the warm up regulator and the metering head. said stil running lean and said i need to get metering head serviced.

Why now would it be running like a bag of nails yet beforehand went really well!!
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Re: 2.8 Running rough.

Post by Stroker »

I'd be taking it back and complaining that it's seriously worse than before he tuned it.
It does sound like it's running lean. You could have a good look at the mesh filter under the larger of the two banjo nuts on the WUR.
Could be blocked or restrictive.
Really needs a pressure gauge on it to see what exactly he's done. Did he use a pressure gauge on it when making adjustments?
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

mark1982 wrote: prob due to the cams.
How many do you have?
mark1982
Car(s): ford capri 2.8 project

Post by mark1982 »

typo there sorry.
Going to speak with the man who tuned it this morning.
Checked the gauze for muck but was all clean. ye he was using pressure gauges on the warm up reg.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

There's a tiny little filter under each connector on top of the metering head. Might be worth pulling those out and giving them a clean. I'd also change the main fuel filter before messing around with too many things if it hasn't been done recently. Certainly the garage shouldn't have made it worse though :?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

Did he adjust the tappets by any chance?