upgrade brakes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
scottman1962
Car(s): Ford mk3ls 1600l

upgrade brakes

Post by scottman1962 »

Hi , would like to upgrade the brakes on my 1600 ls, what would the best way to go, please bear in mind am not a lottery winner

Many thanks
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: upgrade brakes

Post by nigecapri »

New discs, good quality pads, new fluid. New shoes n wheel cylinders. Should easily lock up your front tyres. If you can already easily lock up your front tyres then just renew the back brakes & tune them well and get the best tyres you can afford.
scottman1962
Car(s): Ford mk3ls 1600l

Post by scottman1962 »

Many thanks
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Agreed.

Good set of pads, mintex are really good.

New discs, new rear shoes, new wheel cylinders.

Flush all the fluid, use about a litre to get rid of all the old fluid then bleed up as normal.

Make sure the Calipers are free moving and if not then overhaul or get recon units. If you want to cool them more then get a spacer kit from rally design. Then vented discs.

Everything in good order on a std 1.6 then it will be great.

I had vented discs and Calipers on the front and good drums on the back with a tuned pinto and the car stopped well.

All the best
mwillerton
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i special - Diamond White
Honda Civic 2.2d.
Yamaha Fazer 600

Post by mwillerton »

Tickover have written about upgrades.
http://Www.Rallydesign.co.uk for upgrades callipers
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

+1 for spacing the calipers & swapping to standard vented discs. This will get the brakes to the same standard as the 2.8 injection and wont involve spending much money at all.

Unless you know for sure the seals in the calipers and rear cylinders have been changed very recently I'd suggest changing them and bleeding through to make sure you are running all new fluid as advised. The Capri braking system, though unsophisticated, works well as long as routinely maintained.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

I had a well setup std brakes on a 3.0 ghia.

Took some fellow Capri owners put in her to show how well the brakes could stop.

Got her upto about 60 and brakes hard.

All of them thought I had after market parts on her.

Was bog standard, just I'm good working order.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Generally the reason most people feel they need to upgrade Capri brakes is:

Their brakes arent fully effective due to general wear and tear

Their Capri has a serious engine transplant putting out over 200bhp

They regularly race their Capri

They are keen to spend some money on new and shiny things

Its worth noting that even the no expense spared Tickford Capri used standard spec front brakes.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Not_Anumber wrote:Generally the reason most people feel they need to upgrade Capri brakes is:

Their brakes arent fully effective due to general wear and tear

Their Capri has a serious engine transplant putting out over 200bhp

They regularly race their Capri

They are keen to spend some money on new and shiny things

Its worth noting that even the no expense spared Tickford Capri used standard spec front brakes.
I guess I must fall into the "Keen to spend money on new shiny things" category.

Nice that it does stop a lot better now though :D

All the best
Neil
Last edited by sheff on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

Maybe I am same shiny is awesome...

Front brake upgrade costed me maybe 400€ in total, with new stainless steel branded brake hoses, EBC brake disks 283mm Sierra discs, Ford mondeo 60mm brake calpers, EBC redstuff brake pads, machining hubs and making fitting kits for monde calipers. (Though needed 15" rims but tires are now much cheaper and easier available than 13" tires)

Rear brakes about 500€, would have been less but I bough Brand new Cosworth 4x4 brake calipers and same stuff as in front brakes (273mm vented).

Now it really stops if I want car to stop. (That wasn't true before 3.0 GT Mk1 brakes are quite poor)
Even if break pedal to floor from 120mph to 0. No problems.( Not sure if brakes are enough for multible stops)

Mondeo/Scorpion brake calper spare parts and brake pads are easy to get and cheap. Also Brake discs are cheaper and easier to get.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Vermilion wrote:Maybe I am same shiny is awesome...

Front brake upgrade costed me maybe 400€ in total, with new stainless steel branded brake hoses, EBC brake disks 283mm Sierra discs, Ford mondeo 60mm brake calpers, EBC redstuff brake pads, machining hubs and making fitting kits for monde calipers. (Though needed 15" rims but tires are now much cheaper and easier available than 13" tires)

Rear brakes about 500€, would have been less but I bough Brand new Cosworth 4x4 brake calipers and same stuff as in front brakes (273mm vented).

Now it really stops if I want car to stop. (That wasn't true before 3.0 GT Mk1 brakes are quite poor)
Even if break pedal to floor from 120mph to 0. No problems.( Not sure if brakes are enough for multible stops)

Mondeo/Scorpion brake calper spare parts and brake pads are easy to get and cheap. Also Brake discs are cheaper and easier to get.
Very Nice!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Id like to think if i had E 900 spare to spend on uprating brakes on my weekend car that i'd give it to charity. I know that I'd probably spend it on beer though :beer:
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

Not_Anumber wrote:Id like to think if i had E 900 spare to spend on uprating brakes on my weekend car that i'd give it to charity. I know that I'd probably spend it on beer though :beer:

Next time when I need to buy new brake pads, disk and tires I will propably save like 200€, compared to what it was before.
Though I drive so little that tires once in 6 years and brakes maybe once in 12 years. Car is also much safer because it will
stop in any speed 0-250km/h and in any weather (not some racing mintex brake pads that needs warmup to work properly).
Standard brakes won't stop car as well it should be if speed over 150km/h I tested that and almost peed in my pants when
I lost my brakes. ( Brake fluid boiled, disks and pads went too hot.) Also I holiday in Norways montain range, when coming down
from mountains, brakes were totally under sized. 5.000km trip with Car and brake pads needed immediate change cause they had melted.

" These roads will destory bad brakes totally"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7wgif17B8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPf4qwtr8Fs
(Just to demostrate how will happen if disks get too hot, Norway have like roads
that have 20km donwn hill and you need to brake whole time unless you have very good
"engine breake".)

There is clearly a reason why new cars have normally 300mm vented brake disks and in rear 270mm solid disks.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

These brake upgrades are a great idea. You can make standard brakes work better than old standard brakes for sure. But you are kidding yourself if you think the standard brakes are the best setup ever!

All depends on what you want from the car and if people want standard brakes in their car so be it. heck we have many cars from the 1940s up to modern day which have standard brakes. That is fine to keep the character of the car.
But we also have a multitude of cars from same periods which are upgraded here there and everywhere to make them more enjoyable the way we like to drive them.
If anyone ever tells me that Jaguar E-Type brakes can be good they need a slap! We upgraded ours and the car is soo much more enjoyable and a hell of alot safer.

I know on my Capri i have several brake upgrade options because lets put it this way a standard setup would die a quick death very quickly indeed.

Keep up the good work guys, i like all the brake upgrades above :)
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)